What does one do with all the lemons?

Columbia, SC

We have a Meyer's Lemon tree that was planted last April and is full with lemons. There must be 30 almost fully ripe and ready to pick. But what does one do with all those lemons? A friend told us about a method of preserving them in salt and oil for use in Moroccon style dishes. We have some ice cream or sorbet recipes we could use a few of them in. I have heard of juicing them and saving the frozen juice ice cubes --sounds like too much squeeze for the juice (sorry, couldn't resist). Any other suggestions? They look beautiful and I'm so pleased with such a newly planted fruit tree.
We're considering some cold hardy organge trees next.
We're in Columbia SC by the way.
I'll send a picture later.

--Don

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Meyer lemons are surprisingly juicy. The juice is much more complex than the juice of true lemons so it's a favorite of chefs. The frozen ice cube idea is great, but don't stop there. Peel or grate the zest, dry it an store in a cool dry place. It adds a wonderful "zest" to food. The holidays are coming up. Bake up a "mile high" lemon meringue pie or two, lemon cookies, lemon cakes, pudding, etc. The juice can be used in making salad dressing. In fact, I've seem whole cookbooks devoted to the use of lemon. There is enough sweetness in the Meyer lemon that I love to eat them right off the tree. Enjoy!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I am not usually a tea drinker, but on a cold day or when I have a cold I love to drink tea with lemon. It is delicious and soothing on a raw throat. All I do is put a boil a cup of water. Put an ordinary teabag into it until it is the desired strength, then squeeze a quarter of a lemon into it and drop the lemon peel and pulp in as well. Stir in a sweetener and drink up. This would be extremely soothing with Meyer lemons which are my favorite.

Toronto, ON(Zone 6b)

Don't be in a rush to pick them... citrus will last on the tree for months. I have some valencia oranges that have been hanging on the tree- ripe- for a year; they are starting to fall off on their own. Ripe fruit just makes the tree so much more interesting. Robb.

Columbia, SC

Thank you all for your good advice. Yes, we are enjoying the lemons on the tree and will be in no hurry to harvest them. But should I not worry about a frost harming them?
One recipe I want to try will be for limoncello, which mainly requires lemon zest, not juice. Here is one recipe: http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beverage/Limoncello.htm

Another is for preserved lemon, Morrocan style, which sounds good: http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/africa/morocco/preserved-lemon-quarters1.html This will make use of the entire lemon and will keep for a long time.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

HI...Lemons and Limes make great Chutney!!! I just follow a recipe I like for Mangos and substitude the rinds...with some fruit. I like mine hot so I add Serrano peppers and spices.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Meyers might make a weird limoncello. The zest is different on a meyers than a real lemon. Also the meyers is going to have a higher sugar content. Worth a try but I'm thinking that recipe needs some tweaking.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Or, perhaps Meyers Limoncello would be different, and even better than the traditional one. It is certainly worth a try.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I made some killer Lemon Curd (also called Lemon Butter) with Meyers...simply fantastic poured over ANYthing...Fruitcake, Icecream, Rice Crispies, Cheese Cake etc. etc. etc.

Union Grove, AL

Presered lemon peel is wonderful, though you lose most of that meyer difference, it lasts for 6 months, add to dessert, eat plain, dipped in chocolate etc.

Missouri City, TX

Slice and dry some. Should be wonderful snacks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.