Show Us Your Feeders Vol. 3

Marlton, NJ

The old ones getting long so heres a new one. :-)

Thumbnail by pelletory
Danvers, MA

That's a guilty look if I ever saw one! Mouth full of seeds...lol

Northern, IN

Here's a Fall Feeder pic that put a smile on my face.

Thumbnail by GoldenDomer
Marlton, NJ

Nice pic Dave!

They (RB Nuthatch) are always a pleasure to see!

Brainerd, MN

I hope to attract Cardinals this year. Don't see many around and not often.

Great pics. :)

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Your little RBN is so very cute, dd!

I have a question about feeders and maybe some posters here have some thoughts....

We just set up our feeders for the winter...and we think we need another...

Inquiring minds want to know...so could anyone please show off their 'best, most attractive' feeder for Pileated Woodpeckers?

We have the pileateds visit our yard every winter and feed on the ordinary suet feeders, but I would like to know, especially, if there is a 'whole peanut' feeder that they like, and also a good source to purchase it.

Any thoughts??? Thanks. t.

Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

Here is what was at my feeders this morning.

Thumbnail by dpoitras
Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

and these

Thumbnail by dpoitras
Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

another one

Thumbnail by dpoitras
Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

more

Thumbnail by dpoitras
Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

a regular at the suet cage

Thumbnail by dpoitras
Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

I just love these birds

Thumbnail by dpoitras
Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

a sweet little junco

Thumbnail by dpoitras
Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

not a feeder but....

Thumbnail by dpoitras
Brainerd, MN

Nice pics!

Marlton, NJ

Hi tabasco, Are you talking about a suet feeder for the Pileated?

Pelle, I'm not sure---I just want a feeder for them that they like a lot. I have seen the big suet feeders for them at the bird store, but thought maybe there was another 'contraption' that they actually liked better--(I don't want to spend all those $$ for not much result!)

Maybe a peanut in the shell feeder, or one of those logs with holes that you fill with suet, or maybe just smearing suet on a tree--not sure really--just want to know what others have had a LOT of success with....

My neighbor across the way seems to have adopted our pileateds over the summer while we had our feeders down, and we have to get them back before our out of town company comes for TG!!! How's that for competitive birding!!

Let me know what you think! t.

Marlton, NJ

I think either a long paddle suet feeder or a long log suet feeder would be best but can't promise they'll use it before Turkey Day. :-)

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Tobasco, lucky you to get the Pileated WPs. We've got them in the woods but have never had them come to our feeders.

Here's my version of the "suet" log. Actually, I just smeared it with peanut butter. It's an old cedar fence post from my neighbors property tied to a T-post with wire. I just put it up this afternoon, no takers yet but some of the birds are using the top as a perch.

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Marlton, NJ

dpoitras, Very nice pics!

I love the TT's too! Wish I saw them more often.

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

I just love these WB Nuthatches. I actually had 2 in the feeder area at the same time today.

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

These guys move so fast that it's hard go get them at the feeders.

Thumbnail by sadie_mae

sadie mae--let us know the minute you get a visitor...idea looks like it will work (and the price is right!)

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

The TTs are hard to catch too

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Will do and yep, the price was right for sure!

The Goldfinch were swarming this weekend, I counted 25 at one point, on the various feeders. Everyone seems to really likes this new BOSS feeder.

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Marlton, NJ

Lovely photos sadie!

The Tuti's are hard to catch!

Marlton, NJ

tabasco, I have a friend that has logs similiar to sadies that are put into the ground on an angle; he drills smaller holes in them and injects suet inside. He gets the most wonderful photos of Pileateds, Fickers etc.

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks Pelle :-)

I'd love to have some Flickers come to my feeders. I occasionally catch them picking around in the flower beds but they totally ignore the feeders. I know I've seen people post pics here of them on there feeders though.

My Juncos have started coming to the feeders too. I remember last year, I think you had posted a pic of one on a feeder, and I had never seen one a feeder, just the ground.

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Marlton, NJ

Right, I remember that.

Now that its starting to get cold I'll have to start throwing some seed around.

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

I started scattering some seed around last weekend. The Juncos, Doves, White Throated Sparrows and Cardinals seem to be my main ground feeders.

Here's Mr. Cardinal and friends on the feeder.

Thumbnail by sadie_mae

Just got a Northern Flicker on one of those little wire suet cake hangers this morning. I think it was a juvie since it was rather small...will have to get my camera in action for some birdy pics...we've had a number of woodpeckers coming around since we put the feeders out Sunday--no pileateds yet!

Here's my plan for the pileateds. I'm going out this evening (after dark) with a big jar of peanut butter and smear it on the trees between my neighbor's feeders and our feeder to entice them over to our bird buffet for the TG holiday week (while the out of towners are here). Do you think that will work? LOL

Must find a nice log and get the drill out --- I am sure the P.s will like that a lot!

Lawrenceville, GA

Competitive birding!!! LOL.
My neighbor across the fence (she's crazy) actually came to my house this summer to tell me I was "stealing" all her hummingbirds! What do you say to someone that nuts?

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Tobasco ~ sounds like a good plan to me BUT...do you have raccoons there?
They pretty much cleaned up my log last night, LOL, at this rate, I'm going to have to buy stock in PB! Those little rascals, at least they didn't pull down any of my feeders and now I'm glad I put that extra piece of wire at the bottom of my log, for reinforcement. I guess I'll have to put the PB on in the mornings so the birds will at least have a chance to find it!

Marlton, NJ

Thats a good plan; put it out first thing in the morning so hopefully its gone by nightfall.

Oh, good point about the raccoons! Forgot about those critters! We have so many prowling at night I will go through the PB pretty quickly! OK new plan--I will sneak out in the morning with my jar.

Well, don't laugh about the hummingbirds: I accused my neighbor of stealing mine! Well, I planted all the red salvias early in the spring and put out red ribbons and then my neighbor just put out these really big red feeders and seduced my birds over to her yard! I think I had had a couple of bloody mary's before I had the nerve to speak up about it! So eventually I got bigger and redder feeders and I felt better about the whole thing and stole my birds back! LOL

Had lots of nice birds visiting our feeders today. It's such a joy to have them back. Our cats sit at the picture windows all day like they are watching TV!

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Ha ha love your racoon stories! This seems to be a heavy season for them here too. Here is one looking in my dining room window. (which is technically a feeder lol)

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

and here are my two "girls" watching from the other side of the window. I love your description of your bird watching cats tabasco!

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

So cute lily.

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Aww, it's hard to stay mad at them (coons) when you see them in cute pics like that.

Your girls are beauties!

Cute pics! Your kitties are very sweet. Looks like your little coon wants to be adopted. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.