Propagating Hypericum androsaemum from cuttings?

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I received a GORGEOUS flower arrangement from 1800flowers.com that has Hypericum berries in it. I'm wondering if anyone here has tried to root these cuttings. I'm going to try because these are gorgeous. I'll likely have to grow it in a pot since they are generally only hardy to zones 6-7 and I'm in 5, but it would be fun to try this.

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Fulton, MO

'Albany Purple' will root from softwood cuttings. I have propagated many of them from softwood cuttings using IBA quickdip and/or rooting hormone powder, 50:50 peat:perlite under mist. I don't know if the cuttings from your arrangement would root or not...I have my doubts, personally...but you never know until you try.

They are root hardy here, dying back almost to the ground every year but coming back fairly reliably from the base. We are zone 5b old map, middle zone 6 new map.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

It's worth a try, and that's what I'll do. Thanks for the info!

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

I have tried twice. I took a flower arrangement class and fell in love with the orange and green berries that were on the Hypernicum. I tried one time in water and once in the soil and didn't have luck with either.

I thought maybe it might be because of the cuttings usually come in from foreign countries and spend time in travel then time in buckets at coolers with florist and even with floralite in water they still loose so many nutrients out the bottom of the stem.

If you happen to figure it out and have success, please share. Would love to know how you got them to root for sure.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.