pineapple question....please advise

Plano, TX

I have 5 pineapples that have gotten huge (about 4-5 feet across) growing in containers. I keep them in my greenhouse in the winter. My question is - can I trim the leaves on the bottom of the plant up to the leaves that are growing more up so that they do not take up so much room or willI take a chance on killing my plants? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. (even an educated guess would be helpful)

fred

Orlando, FL

WOW...none of my pineapples have gotten that huge. I do get fruits often tho. I trim about 3 sets of leaves up from bottom on mine. I have never trimmed them any higher however. I think I would try to trim just one and see how it does. Give it a couple weeks before you do anything to the others. That is just what I would do.

Plano, TX

Thank you for your response. I went ahead and trimmed them a little more than you suggested I hope I did not mess up. They seem to be doing well so far but it has only been 3 days---time will tell. Thanks again

Springfield, MO(Zone 6a)

We greenhouse growers have to be realistic. While trimming the leaves will reduce the plant's vitality, it's got to fit in the space we have. You certainly won't kill the plants. I've never had a pineapple get that big before fruiting (except for the variegated variety). Perhaps you could ease off on the nitrogen next spring (just a thought with no scientific background).

Home-grown pineapples taste sooo good!

Dave.

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Fred, I been there.. My pineapple was huge like that too before I gave it way.. It just got to dangerous to leave in the apt I was in.. I never trimmed it but gave it way instead when it grew that big.. So, please keep us posted. I may have to start again with another pineapple if trimming's an option..

Plano, TX

My pineapple was probably 4 1/2 feet across when i trimmed it. I started at the bottom with a pair of scissors and worked my way up cutting the leaves about 1 inch from the stalk. I probably cut off 4-6 rows of leaves working my way around the plant to where what was left were the leaves that pretty much are growing up and not out similar to the way a pineapple looks in the store. So far they seem to doing ok but time will tell, I will keep this thread posted. Thanks for the input.

Sarasota, FL

Why don't you force it to flower? Out of the hot sunlight, do your best to bag the plant after sticking a very ripe (not rotten) apple in the center. the ethylene gas will initiate flowering. Remove after 24-48 hrs. Plants too big could be covered with plastic or sheets or whatever. It's just to help concentrate the gas.

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

What size pot do you have those monsters in?

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

i wojuld love to see a picture of a 4 ft pineapple. thanks

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Those pineapple plants grow amazingly fast too.. Think my pineapple top rooted and grew to 2ft across in three months.

Kalpavriksha, how big should the plant before forcing it to flower/fruit??

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

I grew one from the grocery store that I cut the top and planted. It took 3 years to produce a large, beautiful pineapple. It ended up with about a 5 foot + span of leaves. I never trimmed them. It was the most delicious pineapple I ever ate. They sure don't come any fresher than that!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.