Anybody have advice for me about Rome?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

You all are so sweet to share with me!! Its fun to be able to tell about it.
Best moment? Tough-- but I haven't gotten to telling you about Villa D'Este yet. That's where I thought I would die and go to heaven- To live in a place like that and those fountains for your backyard? I guess it made a big impression being on the scale of a residence but a huge beautiful one. Shoot- I'm being summoned for the dog park- just time for this picture-------Will be more---

Thumbnail by sallyg
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Did they tell you about the water "organ" there?

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I figured the hat wasn't just for stylishness. LOL

Wrightie, did you hear about the poor horse that came in second at the Kentucky Derby? So, so sad it made me cry.

Hart, I had a very hard time with that as well. It was all I could think about yesterday.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Ugh. Yes, Hart. I cried, too. Then I cursed at the television about the disgusting practice of galloping those babies to make a buck. GRRR ... getting off my High H. now.

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm enjoying your pictures Sally. Keep 'em coming :)

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Sally, I have been enjoying your pictures. Glad you had a good time.
Chris

Inside Villa D'Este- wake up to this ceiling in your bedroom.
Pagancat- we missed the detail abt the water organ, alos missed the night scene with lighting around the fountains

Thumbnail by sallyg

also Villa- the gardens and fountains are on sloping property behind the villa. Talk about dealing with a problem gradient! Nice walk down--a workout coming back up LOL

Thumbnail by sallyg

ooh- sorry about the color- forgot to readjust the camera after the dim interiors
Here's a row of probably fifty animal face-fountains on the right. After carefully picking just one for close up I think I deleted the picture. boo.

Thumbnail by sallyg

after the downhill part, some reflecting pools, large fountain at end

Thumbnail by sallyg

heirloom rose for hart
also some irises, citrus trees..wisteria in full bloom, a gigantic peace lily as a water plant, massive old trees...

Thumbnail by sallyg
Crozet, VA

Oh my gosh, everything is breath taking. Keep 'em coming.

Ruby

ladygardener1 you may be pleased to se your favorite characters will be there when you visit !

Thumbnail by sallyg

Sure nuf! view of reflecting pools from a balcony above- behind the big fountain- I imagined how refreshing all this was before air conditioning!!!

Thumbnail by sallyg
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm lovin' your pictures! More please!!

some nice ruby red roses I assume are a very old variety, altho mabe not as old as the ruins themselves.....

Thumbnail by sallyg

Hi Shirley--
what do I have for you? hmmm Off one corner of Villa D'Este, this arrangement was to represent a real river or something. LOL I was kind of overwhelmed taking in the details! All I could think at the time was how much fun it would be to play in on a hot summer day

Thumbnail by sallyg
Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Mickey Mouse is Topolino in Italian.

My gardens look just like that... NOT!

saw a few cute couples cuddling on the subway, and this pair...

Thumbnail by sallyg

Hi miatablu-!
my garden will look like this if I don't start working out there!

ps I got books for you- hope you'll like them

Thumbnail by sallyg

oh I think I liked this pic better of the river-thing

Thumbnail by sallyg
Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Sally, you are a STAR!!! That's book(s) plural. Make that a SUPER STAR!

Did you bring back a minature cement warthog for a lawn ornament? Bet you can find that same one at Harpers :)

This message was edited May 6, 2008 2:09 PM

One book looks like a contemporary love story- a young couple on the cover. The other may be a crime novel..? .? Got two small ones, that's twice as likely you'll like one than putting the whole bet one one book LOL
Yep- I'll now be a sucker for cement animals, statues, terra cotta...Now I 'get' the whole Tuscan decor theme thing, looking out the bus window to the town, its all olive green, terra cotta roofs and yellow or beige stucco houses.

Next stop Orto Botanico university botanical garden in Florence- Not huge but some nice stuff LOL This is the worlds most beautiful and fragrant azalea (until May 17th at Longwood, I'm afraid)

Thumbnail by sallyg

looks like Gita's been here- they have a pregnant onion. (i think)sure looked like it!

Thumbnail by sallyg

long skinny building facing south for this big collection of succulents, palms, ctrus...I was all by myself next to (potentially ) a hundred dollars worth of clivia seeds on several huge clivias

yes I was a good girl.

Thumbnail by sallyg

grrrr---time to go pick up kids... Thanks for letting me share

Thumbnail by sallyg
Crozet, VA

Just wonderful. I am loving the pictures Sally.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Terrific pictures, incredible scenery, gorgeous gardens, lovely ornate statues and such incredible ambience. Thanks so much for sharing!

Crozet, VA

Shirley - You just said a mouth full of truths.

Ruby

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Sally, taking an opportunity to catch up on some old threads this morning and finally viewing your photos - stunning! I think the reflecting pools are my favorite, although the subway poster is a close second :) LOL

Hi- LOL- looked all over and couldn't find anybody close to That guy
waaaah I wanna go back......even if that poster is the best thing about the subway

Thumbnail by sallyg

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.