Wanted: plum tree

Ocean Springs, MS

I am making a garden area to dedicate to my husband for Christmas. He loves plums, but I can't find a tree. Can someone help? Thanks, julie

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

You need to contact you local Cooperative Extension agent to find out how many chill hours your area gets on average. That will help you decide on what varieties to get. Japanese plum varieties will set some fruit without another pollinator, but will produce more fruit and more consistently if another Japanese plum variety is nearby. European plums need another European plum as a pollinator. Here's a link to a nursery.
http://www.willisorchards.com/index
Once you have decided on the variety or varieties, your local nursery might be able to get them for you.

Ocean Springs, MS

Thanks so much for the info. I know our chill hours are low. As you probably know, I can't grow cherries here in coastal MS. I'll check out the link you sent me. Thanks again, julie

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

The most common ones I see on the gulf coast lately are "Santa Rosa" and "Bruce". I think "Bruce" is a Japanese x American hybrid. I usually see them for sale at Lowe's, HD, and Wal-Mart in 3gal containers for around $15.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I grow methley plum which is about the same as santa rosa. You don't show your zone but either of those would do. Both are self pollinating, low chill hours.

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

Johnson nursery in Georgia has a lot of low chill varieties, including some developed at Auburn University and the University of Georgia. Take a look! I've ordered from them and was pleased.
http://www.johnsonnursery.com/

Prices were reasonable too!

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

Hey, I just ordered the AU Rubrum, AU Rosa, and Ruby Sweet! Thanks for getting me going on plums.

http://www.johnsonnursery.com/FRUIT%20PAGES/PLUMS.htm

I have a Methley, a Stanley and a Damson. Also a Shiro but it hasn't borne fruit yet. I'm gonna be in plum city! The Methley and Damson I have posted pix on plantfiles. I am partial to the Methley.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

That nursery looks pretty good to me. What size are there 1 and 2 year? Little twigs or are the 2yrs good to go in year 3?

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

The tree I got from them last year was one year and was probably between 3 and 4 feet tall. They sold out of the AU plums last year; they are fairly new selections so I guess there is a high demand for young trees. I haven't seen them offered in 2 year size. It will probably be awhile before I see any plums but I'm not planning on moving and I have adult trees of other types to keep me happy till then.

When my new trees come I'll post 'em so y'all can see how they look right out of the box.

This message was edited Nov 16, 2007 7:18 AM

Ocean Springs, MS

gosh! thanks for all the great advice and links. I've ordered and Santa Rosa. I'm sure he'll love it. I'm making a ceramic dolphin birdbath to place in the area. I'll post pics when I start on it. Gotta pick it up today from shop. love, julie

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

FYI, European plums don't always need a pollinator and Japanese one usually do. Best check your catalog to make sure you have planted a pollinator for each one.

Baltimore, MD

Froggies girl, I am a bit late but I would not recommend Santa Rosa for your area. I have enough problems with it here and you are even hotter and more humid where you are. The AU series plums were bred specially for the south to tolerate the high heat and humidity and the intense disease pressure. I have a Santa Rosa here and have found it to be disease-prone and slow to bear compared to the more well-adapted varieties. It was bred in California and it shows!

Scott

Ocean Springs, MS

Got the tree from Willis and it came Monday. It is great! I thought I ordered a Santa Rosa, but its a Burgundy. Gotta get it potted up before hubby notices! love, julie

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I looked up Burgundy and found that it is self-fertile, which is all important if you and your neighbors don't have plum trees. It also seems to tolerate a mild winter. It appears you chose well.

Ocean Springs, MS

Thank you, pajaritomt! I am very honored that you think I made a wise choide. I "splurged" on the branched tree instead of a seedling. It is already 5-6 feet tall and branched. Thanks for everyone's help. love, julie

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I bet you will be pleased with its growth a year from now. I have always done best with mail order bare-root trees. On the surface, it doesn't make sense, but if you think about it, it does.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.