Please share your favorite 07 daylily pics Part II

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

boojum, your photos are lovely. I very much like mixed plantings, as long as they contain daylilies. Most of my beds are more or less in straight rows. My area is flat so I use taller species plants for architecture.

Some years I interplant with larkspur, sage,nicotinia, etc. However, I need to be able to run the little rototiller between the rows from time to time. Saves a heck of a lot of hand work.

Bad Axe, Mich., FL(Zone 5a)

Here is a series of pictures I took of my yard in July, 2007.
ALONG THE DRIVEWAY

Thumbnail by dorothian

BACK SIDE BED

Thumbnail by dorothian

SAME BACK SIDE BED FACING THE HOUSE

Thumbnail by dorothian

FAR BACK BED

Thumbnail by dorothian

FAR BACK BED, OPPOSITE VIEW

Thumbnail by dorothian

SIDE OF THE GARAGE. That is a weeping mulberry tree, which is sterile, so has no fruit. The trellis had a clematis, which died.

Thumbnail by dorothian

Here's my front yard from the highway. We had 2 huge maple trees that MDOT took out when they redid our road the year before. They replaced them with 4 new ones, so the bed with the grasses is new.

Thumbnail by dorothian
Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Beautiful gardens, dorothian. I love the tall lilies with the daylilies and your front entrance looks amazing!

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

D,

I love the turtle!

Are you coming to hear Tommy Maddox today at Central?

Leslie

Jamestown, KY(Zone 6a)

dorothian, lovely pics..I still see some grass so you havae more room for more plants..lol

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

What is the pink cluster of flowers in this picture FAR BACK BED, OPPOSITE VIEW? I love the daylilies mixed in with lilies also, they are so pretty like that. Wild and free looking :) it's sweet.

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

That pink cluster of flowers look like phlox to me, they are beautiful and come in many colors.

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

Wow, my phlox didn't look anything like those. Mine must not have been very healthy. I'll have to give them another shot, they're gorgeous!

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Hyblaean,

That looks like a tall phlox. There are different types of phloxes. Crawling or moss, short ones and tall ones. I may have missed some here but my point was that they aren't all created equal so there may not have been anything wrong with yours. Different colors too though you've got to watch phlox because it has a tendency to revert to the wild purple color.

MollyD

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

Cool! Thanks for that info Molly :D

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

:D

Molly

The tall pink cluster in the far back bed is tall garden phlox. In that same bed there is also a red phlox and a white one called DAVID. I used to have a problem with powdery mildew on them, but I sprayed them a couple years ago with baking soda solution and haven't had a problem sincel

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Tell me more about the baking soda solution. I've had Mt. Fugi Phlox for many years, and every year they look like crap. I was going to get rid of them this year, but if baking soda helps with the mildew problem, I'll give it a try.

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

I'd like to hear about the baking soda solution, too, Please :)

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

I use milk and water for black spot on my roses. Would that work as well as the baking soda stuff?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I wonder if Messenger would work.

The baking soda solution goes like this: 1 tbl of baking soda and 1tsp of cooking oil for a sticker, mixed into 1 gal of water. To this you add a few drops of liquid dish soap. Put this solution into a spray bottle and start spraying your plants as soon as they emerge from the ground and every 2 weeks or after every rain until the plants are mature. Often you only have to do this for one season and the effects will carry over for several years. Make sure they get cut to the ground before the new growth emerges and clean up any leaves or debris around the plants and make sure there is good air circulation.
This will also work for blackspot on roses and peonys, but you have to be diligent.

I've heard the milk and water application works well too.

Dorothian, I copied your recipe into my journal. I think I'll try it and see if it works better than milk and water. Why do you need cooking oil and soap also?

The soap breaks down the waxy coating on the leaves, so the solution can penetrate and the oil acts as a sticker.

Ok, thanks Dorothian.

I should mention that you should not spray during the hot sun of afternoon as you might burn your plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.