Can I overwinter contourted filberts in pots in zone 6b?

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I just had to buy two Harry Laudner Walking Sticks when they were 75% off at Home Depot. They are waaay too big to get in the house for the winter. Do you think they will survive outside on a south facing wall of my house in a pile of straw or maybe dug down in the dirt, but not out of the pot?

Will Harry Laudners set filberts?

Saint Clair Shores, MI(Zone 6b)

I don't see why not, though I would set the pots into the ground or at least pile mulch around them. If I recall correctly (and this can easily be checked in a search engine) but I thought Filberts were hardy to zone 4 (I'd check it personally were I you)

Supposedly HL will set a small crop if pollenated, but with two of them (and no other varieties?) you will likely run into a lack of available suitable pollen.

My HL has set catkins (the flowers) twice now, but my other hazels have not bloomed as of yet, so I haven't gotten any nuts (though the squirrels would surely get them b4 me)

~Chills

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Chills - thanks for the information. Do filberts need another variety to set nuts? If so - I think I have a Christmas present for my girlfriend and I will get a different filbert tree. Also - sometimes I see it called a hazel nut. I'm confused - are they the same nut in different flavors?

Saint Clair Shores, MI(Zone 6b)

I will freely admit to being no expert, but my reading indicates that European varieties of Hazels are also called Filberts. Both European and American varieties can be referred to as hazels and a hybrid of European and Turkish hazel varieties is commonly called a Trazel.

~Chills

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

My walking stick grew to about ten feet in height over fifteen years. All during that time it drove me nuts not making nuts.

Then for no apparent reason it took only two years to die off one hundred percent. I researched to find out that my native filberts hosted the ugly fungi that attacks most if not all hybred filberts. I was also told there was no known such fungi east of the Mississippi River. Following that discussion I stated beyond a shadow of a doubt that the fungi was firmly noted in Pennsylvania. I have numerous friends all of which showed the same physical symptoms followed by dead trees or shrubs in a year or two. The fungi makes three sixteenth of an inch corky appearing growth lined up two by two all over the limbs and finally the trunk. This is a tricky development. It looks like it maybe should belong. It does not!!! There was at that time no known cure.

Meanwhile my native filberts continue to produce for the squirrels showing no signs of the fungi they host. They are apparently totally resistant to the fungi.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.