Is it too late to plant shribs?

West Norriton, PA(Zone 6b)

I wanted to plant a few small Ilex crenata 'soft touch' and buxus 'green velvet'. Is November too late in zone 6b?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Somebody more experienced with shrubs will probably chime in. But I think my nursery guy has told me that *potted* shrubs (perennials, too) can pretty much be planted any time you can get a shovel in the ground (soggy, bone dry, or frozen ground can't be worked easily). Bare root plants are another matter, and I've only done those in the spring...

I something similar, just not sure if it applies to our zone ... although the winter's haven't been to bad lately.

Thanks critter!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Michael, you shouldn't have any problem planting them as long as they're "potted" shrubs as critter mentioned. We've planted as late as the first of December before with good results. Normally, fall is the best time to plant shrubs - the fall rains help with watering and getting them established. Not sure if you're experiencing the drought that this area has had to contend with this year, but without the fall rains, only other advice I can give is to make sure they're watered.

Thanks for the tips rcn!

very dry here ... you should see my water bills!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

If you can dig a hole, you can plant.

As a matter of fact, this is a good time to prepare a hole for a live Christmas tree, should you choose to use one.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Quoting:
very dry here ... you should see my water bills!

Fortunately we are just outside the city limits and have a well - I can't imagine what our "water bill" would be otherwise, but I know for a fact we wouldn't be able to afford it! We had to rotate hoses every two weeks this summer to keep everything we planted last fall alive. Some of the trees that have been planted for over five years suffered some damage but hopefully they'll be okay, that is if, and when, we get any rain or dare I say it, snow! LOL

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

my Lowe's and maybe other places, are putting all trees and shrubs on 50 % off now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.