MOONFLOWER VINE SEEDS - IPOMOEA ALBA - QUESTION

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

We got hit with hard freezes two nights in a row. My moonflower was doing well and has lots of seed pods on it. But the vine is now pretty much toast from the freezes. The seed pods are still purple looking -- not at all dried -- and so don't look ready to save yet. Should I wait to see if the vine has enough life left to finish ripening the pods or should I pick them and bring them in now?

Thanks,

Karen

Thumbnail by glendalekid
Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

cut the vine with the seeds on it and stick in sugar water until they rippen

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi,

Thanks. I would not have thought of that on my own. Got lots to learn yet. I'll do it tomorrow a.m.

Karen

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

karen, the only reason i knew is someone told me last week. we can learn together

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

We will indeed. Thank you so much. I have been watching these seeds and was so upset over the freeze hitting them.

Karen

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

karen, i know what you mean. then i wasn't paying attention with my trading and am now dowm to 3 seeds, which i have locked in the safe! LOL

Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

I you need more - I've got plenty from 2006! - Arlan

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Arlan,

I would love to have some. I'm not sure I'm going to get these ripened properly, but I'm trying. I planted too late and only got the one vine. The others died before flowering when we had that heat in August.

Karen

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

glendale, i have never heard of the heat killing them before. mine weathered the heat just fine. could it have been something else that killed them?
Arlan, i would love a few, thank you

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Well, as I said, I planted them way too late. They were only about six inches high, and they just didn't make it. They looked healthy until they died. I did try to keep them well watered, but I may not have watered them enough either. I'm just guessing, as I was surprised when they died. I thought they would be fine in the heat, but maybe they were just too small yet.

Karen

Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

When I get home this weekend, I'll get some seeds on the way.

I started my plant indoors pretty early and planted it outside after frost. It did not do too much until it warmed up and then took off, blooming all summer and fall til frost. I really liked it.

Arlan

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

thanks arlan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.