Double Red Geraniums

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Hi all! I just received a ton of these and wanted to know what I can do with them to over winter them since they are huge?! Can I prune them back hard to keep them "in line", or would that be a bad thing? I am a newbie to gardening and take about any free plant/flower I can get! LOL These are absolutely beautiful, even after the harsh weather we have been having. I have taken 3 vases full of cuttings as well, but don't always have luck with doing that. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks, Misty

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Here is a pic of them.

Thumbnail by mistygardener
Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

close up of the flower.

Thumbnail by mistygardener
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I was hoping someone who knew a lot about geraniums would come along and help you, but since nobody has yet I'll give you my thoughts. I had some Martha Washington geraniums at my old house, and after they were done blooming I would always cut them back really hard to keep them from getting all leggy and floppy, and they did just fine. I don't know if it being winter now would make any difference, or if yours would react different since they're a different species than the ones I had, but I think you should be able to cut them back if you want to.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Hey Birthday girl! And again, here you are to my rescue! This isn't the only place I am waiting on someone to respond, either! I think that once the flowers are gone I am just gonna cut them back pretty hard and see what happens. I took several cuttings, so I should get at least some of them to take root. Thanks, yet again! :)

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Yeah, I saw your post about the bananas too, but I have absolutely no knowledge of bananas (besides how to eat them!) so can't help you there!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

LOL! Well, I don't think you'd want to eat these, though! :)

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

well what i used to do was take them out of the soil and pout them in paper bag and dont let them freeze but in a cool place checked on them every now and then if they looked on the dry side then i would mist them then in spring i would pot them up and cut them back and have my plants back

are you planning on keepin them in pots and in light and warmth? plmk

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

For right now I was planning on keeping them in the pots in the sun room. But once I am tired of them being in my way I think I will try to store them. Thanks, Misty

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.