Lisianthus

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

Can anyone give me any info on starting Lisianthus seed? Somewhere I heard that they need started in Nov/Dec. to flower in my area. Any help or info appreciated.
Dixie

somewhere, PA

I germinated them in 2006. My notes say "warm/light' which means
I put them on top of the soil and no stratifcation (cold). It took about
2wks.

They do take a long time to get to blooming size. I started mine in
Jan and they didn't bloom 'til late summer. We live pretty close to
each other, but you are probably in a bit cooler location than me.

Tam

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Tammy, I guess I better get busy. I really didnt want to start anything til after the holidays. Did you have good germ.?

Burlingame, CA(Zone 9a)

I wintersowed some Lisi's last year. I think I started them off just after christmas. I got a good germination rate but only two plants made it once transplanted into the garden (I think I was fed up with them by then). They started flowering about 3 weeks ago and are still going strong. Frustratingly slow but worth it in the end.

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

Sounds like it might be a tiresome chore for my zone. They sure make a nice cut flower and are long lasting.

somewhere, PA

Germination rate was good. I would probably buy them rather than start from
seed - I found a nursery that sells them for a reasonable price in Lancaster county

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

That was my problem, I couldnt find any in my area. I live in a rural area. One greenhouse had plants,but they were all promised to someone.

My granddaughter and I planted seed yesterday.

somewhere, PA

Oriole - are you close to Lancaster County? There's an amazingly wonderful
nursery there.

Tam

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

Tam. I am around 50 miles from Harrrisburg if that gives you an idea. What is the name of the nursery?
With age and the price of gas I dont venture as far as I used to. But I do have a couple of daughters and a son. Hmm
Dixie

somewhere, PA

Its called Black Creek Nursery and its in East Earl near Morgantown.
I'll see if I can find a link for you & will d-mail it. They have amazing
prices and variety. I just LOVE them. My dad visits from State College
and we go together. Last time I wasn't sure I'd fit him in the car. ;-)
too many plants.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

I just saw this thread, I planted mine in Feb. just got two plants and have that they started blooming in August, I never did get seeds off of them though before it got cold, they sure are beautiful! I plant to grow them again this year.

I wish I knew why I only got two plants I was real careful and planted mine in vermiculite but only ended up with two.

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

I have my seeds planted and I see a couple peeping there heads out. Now if I can keep them alive. Its going to be a long time fooling with them. I have a small greenhouse but it will not be warm enough to put them in it. I only use it to keep things from freezing.

Tammy you have dmail.

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

hi, I tried to grow lisianthus seed in '06 after I saw it at the Phila. Flower show. what can I say....I started the seeds indoors in the spring, they seemed to germinate ok....then after hardening off outside I believe they just up and died. I have to try and find my notes about it in my garden journal. I was disappointed because they are soooooooooo pretty.

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

found in my notes that I planted lisianthus blue and yellow in march '06 and in May the seedlings were still so tiny, not growing much and the top of the soil was starting to get moldy................also if I recall the seeds are so tiny they came pelleted.

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

Yes,my seed were pelleted, They are not coming up very well. Oh well if they do make a good showing I will forget them in the Holiday flurry.LOL
They really make a nice cut flower, last a long time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.