Weeping Willow

sterling, PA(Zone 5b)

weeping willow (salix babylonica) this is the type of tree we have and we would like to start some from cuttings. Somebody say's you can start them in a potato have you ever heard of this? We are going to start ours in a growing mixture, but if anyone has heard of the potato way please let me know. Thanks, Jim

This message was edited Friday, Aug 17th 5:00 PM

This message was edited Thursday, Aug 16th 9:02 PM

sterling, PA(Zone 5b)

anyone

Northern Piedmont, NC(Zone 7b)

Jim, the potato way is new to me...sounds interesting. I have rooted a few cuttings of corkscrew and curly willow. I just put them in water till white roots formed. Then, planted them in 1 gal. nursery pots with a good potting soil. When potting up, I found with the first one I potted, that the white roots are very brittle and easily broken.

Jean

sterling, PA(Zone 5b)

Thanks Jean, i also lige the corkscrew willow but cant seem to find any seedling in my area, never heard of the"curly"
willow.
jim

Hamilton, VA(Zone 6a)

I agree with Jean, no need to mess around with a potato. Nothing roots more easily than willow (of any variety). You could probably root willow in a potato, a bowling ball, or an anvil. Take a few cuttings, let them sit in water (protected by shade) and start them in soil once roots form.

I have actually heard it suggested that it is advisable to use willow cuttings to help propagate other plants because of the high concentration of root stimulating hormones in this plant.

Saint Helen, MI(Zone 5a)

I started about 50 scarlet curls willows this year. I have being "working" with the very small tree to get another 50-75 cuttings to trade this winter. I did hardwood cutting and softwood cuttings. Both kinds rooted VERY easily. Since we have so little growing season left I would suggest that you do hardwood cuttings. What to do:
In early spring take large cuttings (upto about 4ft) bring them indoors in a cool area with light. Put them in a pail of water (roots will develop on all parts of the stem that are in the water so try to have a foot or so in the water that way you will get a larger root stem). They will start to leaf out and root within 2 weeks. AS SOON as the stem starts to get the white nubs of roots carefully put them in dirt. After about 2 weeks or so you can start to harden them off outside. However do NOT let them freeze or frost. You can skip the water step and go right to the dirt which I did with some but I enjoyed watching the roots form. I did 20 cuttings like that this spring and had 100% success. Like other have said willows are super easy to root.

Question:
Is the weeping willow grafted??? If so you are not going to get the tree you expect.

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

as far as I know weeping willows are grafted onto willow rootstock. your cuttings will only creep along the ground unless you graft them.

Mark

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

My Weeping Willows, rooted from my sisters tree over 20 years ago, (in water), made beautiful trees.. I have them around my pond.
Larkie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.