Woody Stem cutting??

Delhi, IA

Looking at some Schick hybrid cacti it says propagation can be from a woody stem cutting. When the cactus is a ball or column how do you get a cutting without destroying the 'mother'?

To me the stem would be the center of the part going into the soil. Please explain. Jean

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Hmmm, I have some cacti that I am curious about this, too. Misty

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Jam, You wait till it forms another branch, stem or offset. The other alternative is to cut the parent off and hopefully the parent will be able to form new branches or offsets.
The ball is technically a 'stem', it's just globose, that's all.

Delhi, IA

Thanks Xenomorf.

Valley Village, CA

I have never heard this, who told you this, where did you read about this. I have workd with the hybrids for 15 years at this time. I do know that you can cut it up in four pieces, and let them dry until you see the white nodes of roots forming and plant the pieces, or core the top out and get 5-8 starts from the top, which is the favorite way of propagation, or wait for offsets, they will ususally pop off with the help of a knife when ready. I have personally never cut them up four ways. I also know you can cut off the top of the plant, and wait for it to callus, and replant it by just laying it on top of soil, not in the soil unless roots have formed. Would you like me to call Bob and ask him to be sure?. Norma

Tucson, AZ

This is true of nearly all columnar cacti, doesn't work as well with globular cacti. You can take what is known as a tip cutting from the parent plant. This basically involves lopping off the top 6 to 8 inches off the top of the plant. Yes, this does somewhat disfigure the original plant, in that it's now headless. But usually the stump of the original plant will produce multiple offsets, anywhere from 2 to 5 or even 6 new plants that can be detached and rooted.

Dave

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Well that sounds pretty cool. I am not sure how you would classify the one I have? I will have to get a pic on here so I can learn better if I can do this with this one or not. Thanks for all the help. Misty

Delhi, IA

Well, I don't even have a columnar cactus, but can't wait to try this. These plants seem just my type. Those that require watering a couple of times a week usually suffer around here. These are more my speed. And they seem quite easy to re-start. Thanks for filling me in!! jam

Norma, how do you core the top out? Cut it into several pieces??

This message was edited Nov 4, 2007 10:56 PM

Ooltewah, TN

I have been to a propagation workshop at Plant Delights Nursery in NC. The took an agave and drilled a hole in the center for propagation. It seem to work for them.

Ooltewah, TN

I have been to a propagation workshop at Plant Delights Nursery in NC. The took an agave and drilled a hole in the center for propagation. It seem to work for them.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

It worked for agave? I knew worked for most cacti but not an Agave.

Moss Beach, CA

HERE IS A DEMO SHOWING HOW TO PROPAGATE VIA CORING A CACTI https://youtu.be/JL_DVkBkBwE

AND A LINK TO PROPAGATION VIA CORING OF AN AGAVE : https://www.succulentsandmore.com/2013/10/coring-agaves-for-propagation.html

This message was edited Sep 5, 2020 1:59 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.