Creeping Thyme

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

I remember when I planted my thyme last year that the seeds were almost invisible to the eye. Does anybody know what they actually look like? I've crushed several seed heads and don't see a distinguishing thing. I imagine if I try to start more plants next year I'll just plant the whole kit and kaboodle, but if I offer to share any of it I want to make sure there's actually some seed in that pile of mess.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Answering my own post here.

I've got them spotted! Thanks anyway. :-D

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Jane -- how tiny are they?

i just purchased some creeping thyme, and i'd love to grow some new plants from seed.

Terese

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Actually they aren't as small as I'd first thought Terese. I was able to seperate the chaff on them where as I've had a few that I couldn't. If you're keeping it for yourself I wouldn't mess with it, I'd just crumble up the seed head and scatter the whole she-bang (jeeze, I've gone from "kit and kaboodle" to "she-bang".........aren't I just the colorful one tonight?) on top of the soil. If you really want it clean, I was able to do it by first removing the stems, then just sifting it back and forth between 2 pieces of paper. A little bit of the fine chaff will remain on the paper each time you transfer it to the other piece.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I guess for next year, i will just 'crumble' the whole 'she-bang' right in the area where i'd like to spread.

i was really surprised on how small the leaves are on this plant. i always wanted them, then Springhill had a sale i couldnt pass up on .

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi! from my reading, I understand that the only varieties of creeping thyme that can be grown from seed are wild thyme (thymus serphyllum) and ‘Magic Carpet’ Lemon Thyme. La, you've probably got wild thyme.

Anyway, you can easily propagate new creeping thyme plants from existing plants by 'pegging'. (Again, this is from reading...I haven't tried it, but I read a lot LOL). Take a shallow container of soil and set it next to the plant. then take a stem and peg it down in the container. make sure it makes good contact with the soil. When it roots cut it off the main plant.

~ jan

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi,

I bought thousands of seeds from e bay for next to nothing because I wanted to have the scent of these mixed in with my lawn where we step off the deck. I didn't know anything about the size of the seed or the size of the plant.

While I waited for the sown outside seeds to grow, I bought a few plants online. Of course, as soon as I saw the size of the plants, I realized how expensive it would be to use plants for my purpose instead of seeds.

Now that I have my seeds established, I will use the method of crushing "the whole kit and kaboodle" and spreading "the whole shebang" wherever I want more creeping thyme.

This is the kind of info that I can understand and perform perfectly!!!! I will use Lala's method and then try some "pegging" as Grampapa suggested, to bring some to my daughter's house.

Regards,

Teri

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Jan -- i will see what kind i have. I think i still have the lil containers they came in out in the garage.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

My original seeds came from Ebay as well so I'm not sure of their proper name as they were simply labeled "creeping Thyme." They had pretty purple flowers on them and have already spread considerably in just one year.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

mine is "THYME MAGIC CARPET"

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.