cedar waxwing baby

Elyria, OH

As I was calling it a night in the garden, I noticed a baby bird hopping around under the bird bath. It was hard to identify it until mom and dad came around. Apparently I have had a nesting pair of waxwings in my 75' norway spruce up near the house. The baby is not fully able to fly and must have fallen out of the nest. Mom and Dad were tending to both the nest and the little one on the ground. What a great moment. I had heard that the waxwings like pine cone seeds, and must of liked my tree so much they just moved on in :-)

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Magical isn't it. I seem to be using that word a lot lately but it's true. Nature in all it's forms is magical! What has happened to the baby? Are you maintaining a vigil? :-)

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Wow, I'm jelous! LOL! That must have been so exciting! Waxwings are such pretty birds! I've never been lucky enough to have any nest around my yard ( Not any that I know of anyway ).. What happened with the baby?

Elyria, OH

Louisa and Iris,
The baby is fine, as it turns out it must have fallen from the nest. Somehow mom and dad coaxed it to wing and made it back up there. Might be a while until its feeling daring again, but the parents frequent the birdbath, so I know there still busy busy busy ! You are so right, what a treat ! They are such beautiful birds !

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Phew!!! Glad to hear that baby is all tucked up again :-)

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Me Too !! :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.