Beautiful Brookgreen Gardens

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I've been posting a review of my trip with pics over in the Vacations and Travel Forum. Today I posted the pictures I took at Brookgreen Gardens. It is named for its founders and designers. The Archer and Anna Hyatt Huntington Sculpture Garden opened in 1931 as America's first public sculpture garden.The pics are from the over 50 acre Sculpture Garden which contains over 1,200 works spanning the entire period of American sculpture from the early 1800's to the present. There were many engraved stones with beautiful and quirky poetry included in the gardens too. Located just south of Myrtle Beach I highly suggest you visit if you can. As well as the Sculpture Garden there are thousands of acres of Low county areas a small zoo and much to see. The $12.00 admission price will get you a pass for 7 consecutive days and I could have spent an entire week there. This link will take you to my tour of the gardens.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/786000/

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Huntington Beach State Park is just across the road from the gardens. Originally it was part of the Plantations that Archer and Anna bought. It was the location of their beach house. The foundation still stands. The beach is beautiful there and the wildlife interesting. It's a great fishing area. The wildlife trails were filled with birds and animals. I saw a large flock of Wood Storks and several Alligators . The park had a nice campground for those staying over and the park service ran some interesting and fun programs.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Beautiful, Holly. And very nice photos too.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

What a great destination, Holly. That beach looks awfully inviting right now as well.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ric and I are giving serious thoughts to going back next spring to view the Gardens in the spring time. I'm going to see if I can get a camp site at the State Park. It was a really beautiful beach and I will have more pics from the park and beach in my next trip post. Which I think will be Part 6.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm so glad that you had such a wonderful time visiting Brookgreen Gardens. Your pictures are beautiful and I love your attention to detail. You saw much more of the gardens than we did, because we only had a few hours in the afternoon, but what we saw was beautiful, creative, artistic and definitely worth going back for another look. I'm sure that seeing Brookgreen Gardens in the Spring would not only give you a different perspective, but so many other trees, shrubs, flowers and bulbs would be in bloom. Sounds like its time to make plan for re-visiting there in April!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.