Easy Way to seperate Verbena bonariensis seeds?

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I need some tips on seperating the chaff from Verbena bonariensis seeds? They are sooooo small! Is there an easy way?
Please tell me how. I've collected all these dried blooms and now I'm in a seed swap but may miss the dead line if I can't find an easy way to collect the seeds.
Deborah

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Deb,

Have you saved the whole bloom stalk? The way this plant looks is that it starts blooming and the stalk keeps putting fresh blooms on the end as the older flowers and blooms fade below.

With the wild Verbenas, I sort of shred the stalk and it takes the chaff and the seeds off the stem and into a container. I then crumble and stir for a few minutes to loosen the seeds from the chaff.

After that, I just put in a lid or bowl and tap everything to an edge. I tap for several minutes, the seeds will roll below the chaff. I then start barely tipping the whole thing in the other direction. The chaff will slowly start heading in that direction. I remove a little chaff, and tap everything to the bottom again. By tipping back and forth in this manner, you can remove most of the chaff. I then start scooping the seeds into an envie as I see them free. Keep re-tapping and removing chaff. Sooner or later, mostly seeds will remain.

I had to do this with my Oregano and am waiting for my Plantain to dry a bit more...(we're on the same swap)

Don't worry if it's not perfect, this is a skill that only comes from practice and most folks are quite understanding. I know I would be, and am hoping you offer your Verbena, as it's a plant I don't have yet!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.