October 31st, 2007: Sweet Autumn Clematis (Clematis terniflora) by eloopj

The Bloom of the Day for October 31st, 2007 was Sweet Autumn Clematis (Clematis terniflora).

View the bloom of the day here: http://davesgarden.com/bloom.php?date=2007-10-31

North Augusta, ON

Beautiful!! I have decided I must have one of these.

(Zone 1)

Oh My! It grows in my zone and it's Fragrant too! Another GOTTA HAVE IT!

Going now to check if any vendors have it for sale! LOL.

South Amana, IA(Zone 5a)

This is a really great vine. I've been growing it here in Iowa for the past 25 years or so. It covers trellises on our house, on our lath house and on our screen house. We also have a vine growing up into a our 35-foot blue spruce. The contrast with the tree foliage when it blooms is spectacular. It self-sows in our gardens, just short of being weedy. I dig up the volunteers, pot them up and give them to friends. I would be happy to swap plants, if anyone is interested.

The show actually doesn't end when the blossoms fall. Spidery seed heads form (see below) which eventually open up to reveal a white, fluffy ball of fuzz. I'll post a photo here when the seed heads have reached the fluffy stage.

Thumbnail by LarryR
(Zone 1)

After reading more about this plant ... as Beautiful as it is, I think I've totally changed my mind about growing it. If it is invasive in zone 5 and 7 I'd be afraid it would take over everything down here in zone 9 Florida. I have to check the Fla invasive species list to see if its there - Yep, it's a Catagory II invasive here in Florida. I will not be enjoying this one. :(

South Amana, IA(Zone 5a)

It's not invasive here in my Zone 5a garden, but I can see where it would be in warmer zones. If it should ever spread beyond our gardens and around our neighborhood, I would certainly stop growing it. I do welcome the volunteer plants, not only as gifts to friends, but as replacements for dead vines in our gardens. Typically, the life span of a vine here is five or six years.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.