Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Bloom of the Day Photos: October 31st, 2007: Sweet Autumn Clematis (Clematis terniflora) by eloopj, 1 by LarryR

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright LarryR

In reply to: October 31st, 2007: Sweet Autumn Clematis (Clematis terniflora) by eloopj

Forum: Bloom of the Day Photos

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of October 31st, 2007: Sweet Autumn Clematis (Clematis terniflora) by eloopj
LarryR wrote:
This is a really great vine. I've been growing it here in Iowa for the past 25 years or so. It covers trellises on our house, on our lath house and on our screen house. We also have a vine growing up into a our 35-foot blue spruce. The contrast with the tree foliage when it blooms is spectacular. It self-sows in our gardens, just short of being weedy. I dig up the volunteers, pot them up and give them to friends. I would be happy to swap plants, if anyone is interested.

The show actually doesn't end when the blossoms fall. Spidery seed heads form (see below) which eventually open up to reveal a white, fluffy ball of fuzz. I'll post a photo here when the seed heads have reached the fluffy stage.