Fall color in the shade garden?

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Thumbnail by mistygardener
Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

And the last one. Just remember that this is my "first" GH and it is nothing special, but now I have one at least! :) By the way, the shelving that I bought is half price at Wal-Mart for the same thing they have at Lowe's, just a different brand! Mine is Rubbermaid, and that is a good brand, so glad I shopped at Wally world first! :)

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

It's very ingenious! Congratulations. :-)

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks! I spent a lot of sleepless nights thinking on an "easy" way and a quick way to get it up. The easy part flew the coop, however, it went up in two days, so at least one out of two is good! LOL He had been gathering glass and cutting it and whatnot, and I said how about something a bit easier. I am already talking about the next one, but I think I better wait a little while before I ask him to do it again. :) Now I just need wheels so I can go buy more to fill it up, and to replace the ones I had in the house, although smaller ones for inside. :)

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Well, good luck with your new plants and your old ones. How nice that you have someone who will help you build the greenhouse. Good help is so hard to find. :-)

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

You are so right, doss! I owe him a lot of thanks, for sure. :) I told him he got his Harley and I got my GH. Although, his was WAY more expensive, mine was WAY more difficult! :)

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

By now you should have gotten that door done and most of those plants moved. I'll bet that it feels great.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Hi Doss, wouldn't ya know it isn't done! With my truck breaking, then it raining, just haven't been able to get to it, yet! I have moved plants in it, though since it is nice out.
I have read good things about you on other forums, by the way! :)

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You'll get it done Misty. Even without a door it should provide some very good protection.

I do my best. Seems as if you are enjoying Dave's as I see your name in other forums. Glad that you are here.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Doss, you are so kind! I had an early Christmas today! Getting to open seeds sent from DGer's and a gift from another lady here in Missouri from DG. What an awesome day it has been for me! I even bought me another GH at Lowe's today and a few more plants! I am glad to be here, also. I have made many new friends!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm a real seed killer so I always admire people who are good at growing them. Will you wait until spring to put up the new greenhouse?

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Hi Doss, It is already together. It is a portable one on wheels. It is about 6 foot tall, and about 3 foot wide by about 2 foot deep. It didn't even require any tools to put it together! You should go check it out! Oh ya, no door as of yet as it decided it wanted to be nasty again today! misty

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks for the encouragement misty but I don't grow anything that can't take the weather here. Not much of a limitation but most of the things, like hostas that I love, need colder rather than warmer weather. Bummer, huh? I'm glad that you are happy with yours though. Enjoy!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks Doss! :) I now realize that we in colder climates are able to grow things that those of you in warmer climates cannot. I had never thought of that prior to being on DG. I am working on sowing some seeds right now, actually! :)

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

:-)

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Nice greenhouse misty.
We're having a interesting fall weather wise, many trees are still holding on to their leaves. It just started to turn cold so we are also having a late color change display. Since the change in the solomon seal and hosta is for just a brief few days I watch closely for the golden leaves to appear. The solomon seal have just colored to a intense chartreuse.

This message was edited Nov 16, 2007 9:39 AM

Thumbnail by sempervirens
Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Semp. Your garden is beautiful!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Your solomon's seals are very pretty. Mine are already dormant even though we are having a warm fall.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Such gorgeous pictures here. I've been following this thread, waiting for Fall to hit here. Finally it has, and I've never seen so much color. Usually we get a killing freeze or two while everything's still green. Such a strange warm season this year. Thanks very much for sharing all your photos. Here's one of mine, with our autumn hued dog.

Thumbnail by wickerparker
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Just one more pic of corydalis "Berry Exciting", still blooming today underneath a paperbark maple. Very impressed with this plant.

Thumbnail by wickerparker
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Is that hakone grass and polygonatum in the first photo WP? I wish that mine would get that color. And the three foliage plants in the second photo are genius together. You have quite an eye.

Great dog too. I have one the same color. This is fall color in this shade garden. The sword ferns and begonias do go dormant but not for awhile. We've had a very mild winter too.

Thumbnail by doss
Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

AWE, such nice plants, and doggies, too! :)

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Gosh, thanks, doss. Yes, that's solomon seal and hakone grass. I've never had the sol. seal get that color before. And the hakone grass is turning bright orange too, which I've never seen to this extent. Most perennials usually turn to mush here with the cold before they have a chance to turn fall colors. The dog's always that color, though.

Very sweet pooch there, well posed in front of those gorgeous ferns.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks doss and mistygardener.

Wickerparker, lovely fall colors and design in your garden.
I have one of those dogs too.

doss , pretty dog, is your dog a King Charles Spaniel?

Thumbnail by sempervirens
Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

You all just leave me in awe, and WANT, looking at your pics! :)

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Very pretty garden Semp - I'm always a sucker for a garden path. Beautiful dog too.
And yes, my dog is a King Charles Spaniel. That was a good ID. Most people don't recognize her as a KCS because she's not red and white.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

That's a great looking dog, sempervirens, in a lovely garden, and I must say I'm very impressed to see him/her keeping to the path! Ours has been trained to stay on our path, but it took a while and was looking hopeless back in the beginning. Now she never even steps on our tiny lawn, until winter time, but she sure seems to get in all the garden pictures.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

wickerparker, what kind of Heuchera is that behind your Berry Exciting, very nice contrast!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

It's H villosa Mocha. Another great plant, and very hardy in heat.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

That is so pretty I love the dark leaves and they are so huge! I may have to get me one of those :) You need to add that to the plantfiles I don't see it in there :)

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Some of the villosa hybrids have gotten attention in the heuchera forum. When some of my other heucheras went kaput during the dog days this summer, I replaced them with Mocha, which has done well for me in shade and sun (though not as dark or as purple in sun). Most of mine are only a year old; the leaves are supposed to get even bigger.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

"the leaves are suppose to get bigger" now I know I need this one!! Are the leaves thicker too?

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

I see the leaves aren't thicker but they just look like they are from your picture, it does look taller than 18" though it looks taller, how tall is it?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

The one in that picture is one of my newer additions and not as big as others. Okay, just ran out and measured. The biggest Mochas I've got are 18" tall right now (it's been raining, so they're actually a little squashed). I don't consider the leaves especially thick, but they're not delicate. It has a very robust appearance, all summer long, even, as I say, in the intense heat.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Well it's wonderful, I have the velvet knight and really like it's dark colors, thanks for sharing :)

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here are some fuchsias blooming right now.

Thumbnail by doss
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Oh, that's pretty, doss! Things have pretty much gone to sleep here now. I wrapped the Japanese Maples yesterday.

Here's a couple of pics of fall colours in the garden.

Sandy

Pink highlights on the Hakone Grass:

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

As I mentioned, I didn't take many pics this fall. Time got away from me but the colours weren't as nice as they were last year, anyway. This pic is from 2006. I used the 'vivid' setting on the camera which enhances the warm colours. Wish I would have raked the lawn. :-)

Sandy

Thumbnail by sanannie
Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

wonderful photos! Thanks everyone! :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.