Location Question

Brisbane, Australia(Zone 10a)

Hi there - I am moving to Albuquerque in January. Does that make me a Southwest Gardener or a Rocky Mountain Gardener?? Sarah

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Hey Sarah, I know pajaritomt lives just north of Alb in Los Alamos, and she should be along soon to tell you exactly what to expect. I almost positive that the conditions are still the same as the general Rocky Mountain experience, but both regions suffer from lack of water, very dry air, and extreme temperature variations in fall, winter and spring. It will be hugely different than Florida, but a fun learning experience, and yes you can still have beatiful gardens. :-) Welcome, and have a safe trip. Paul.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

It depends entirely on whether or not you will tolerate our execrable puns.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Welcome, barksy, to the Rocky Mountain Forum. I think you will find it more useful than the Southwest one which seems centered around Phoenix and Tuscon which are much warmer than most of New Mexico. Albuquerque is 1 mile high, as is Denver, though Denver gets much colder and more moisture. Still most plant situations in Albuquerque are very similar to those of Denver.
Of course, you don't have to limit yourself to one forum! I drop in on lots of them. Try both and see what you think.
And welcome to the Southwest -- which we definitely are part of. I am originally from the South and find life out here very pleasant. Gardening requires a whole different set of skills though. More about that when you are ready.

Brisbane, Australia(Zone 10a)

Thanks so much for your kind words all. Surprisingly, in Florida, its really helpful to xeriscape as it gets droughty in the summer here. Probably much, much more necessary in AQ. I am anticipating some green withdrawal symptoms! However, I am looking forward to cool enough winters to kill the bugs! I will probably be posting basic questions. Hope you are patient. I'm looking forward to getting back on the learning curve. Sarah

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

We are used to newcomers. Keep the questions coming. Yes green withdrawal is a problem. So is water withdrawal. But you are right about the freezing in the winter killing bugs. We have bugs, but not like in Sourthern US. Also it gets hot in Albuquerque, but the hot isn't as hot -- due to the lack of moisture in the air.
We look forward to being your gardening consultants in the Rockies!

Santa Fe, NM

Hi, barksy. As you've heard Albuquerque is more rocky mountain than southwest. It is warmer there than in Los Alamos or SantaFe, usually by 5-10 degrees. Lower altitude. Hope you enjoy it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.