2007 : ( Not to happy with these plants.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Amaranths Pygmy Torch http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/60893/ Guess it was just too short, Looked good when I set them out in the garden but matured and turned brown looking like a dirty feather duster. Maybe I should have pinched it back.

Maybe I'll try "Pony Tails" verity next year instead.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Chris, you added nice pictures to plantfiles for this one too. Sorry it didn't thrill you.
I bought Russian Sage way back when it got an award,but wasn't very happy with it. I have let it die out after trying different sites. I do seee it used on a larger scale in commercial plantings. It needs to be in a large bush or row where the tiny blue flowers mass enough to mak e something. One plant in my yard was too wispy to have any effect.
Lantana can be that way. I saw it used nicely by a neighbor who ahd plantd about five close together so that those gangly branches gangled across each other and gave it fullness. One plant tends to stick sparse branches out and I don't like the look.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Sally, Thank you. I try to add pictures to plant files whenever I can. Last spring I noticed that a lot of DG folks were asking about pictures of seedlings, so I tried to do my part by starting with the seeds and going from there. I also noticed that some plants are lacking pictures all together. So next spring I'd like to get a few seeds started that have no pictures and hopefully add to the plant files. I guess it's a challenge for me.

Wonder if "Pony Tails" have pictures, I didn't check that out.

Russian Sage does look nice planted in mass, one single plant loses it punch, been there- done that. And I agree with you on the lantana, however triming it so it grows fuller helps.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

A petunia from seed, Flambe Salmon, was a dog. Color all washed out, hardly a bloom. Drought didn't help but even aftr moving to a planter they limped along while the coleus with them were great.
Salvia lyrata looked nice in the pot but in my garden it tends to be flat on the ground (foliage) and the flower spikes are too small to be showy. It self seeds some and pops up in the lawn. It's last stop here is to be put in with ajuga, under a redbud, to duke it out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.