A great seed source

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

I just received my second or third batch of seeds from www.hardyplants.com.

They include all kinds of hard to find seeds which I will winter sow:
Welsh poppy, meconopsis blue poppy, 3 kinds of veronica, 2 or 3 kinds of penstemon, and three kinds of phystogia. I sent to New Zealand for their great strains of delphiniums too. T&M charge far too much for them.

These seed people pride themselves on the out-of-the-ordinary. I planted their special Japanese iris seeds in March, but I still got three. I will put them out again this winter, and I am positive I will get many more.

Most of their seeds are about $2.65 and under, down to $.99. Postage is reasonable too.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

I placed an order with them (my first) back on October 12 - still waiting for it. How long does it usually take them to fill and ship orders??

PV

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I have ordered 3 times from them and always had good service--about a week or two for delivery of the seeds. And they were quick to respond to my e-mail questions. I don't know--now is kind of an 'off' time for garden seeds here in the north and maybe they are taking a bit of time off...? I do think it is a 'mom and pop' operation and they don't have a lot of staff to fill in during absences.

Great range of seeds. I don't know if they buy the overstock of the bigger seed catalogs or where they get their collection but it's fun to browse through.

And I've had good success with germination (at least as good as I can expect for a novice home gardener, that is).

Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

I ordered last week from them and i am waiting, as long as they come soon, I think it will be worth the wait! But I also ordered from Diane's seeds, they came already(and I ordered a day or two after) and they have some great choices and pics. But I 'm still in love with the variety at hardy plants, so 'i'm keeping my fingers crossed!-Kath

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

Well, I am sunk! I just checked www.valueseeds.com and they have added a page and probably will add many more pages! I spent about $26.00 there. They are T&Ms overstock and postage is only $1.99. All of my seeds cost from $.49 to $.99 (except one collection of primrose species.) They are very fast! I think I bought all their columbine types, etc.

Still, they do not have as many as www.hardyplants.com, but they have different ones. Also, I just ordered from T&M- the biggest order I ever made from them using the $10.00 on the cover of the catalog. Life is just lovely!!

Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

Gloria-I also ordered from there value seeds. (same day as diane's-which I must plug again-good selection and quick service!-hope value seeds will come today!) They had some good stuff, definitely not the place to go when you're looking for something specific-kind of like TJMAXX of plants. lol You'll find something good, but you don't know what you're looking for or will find! lol

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

flowerhead, I went to Diane's; It is a very good site. I especially love all the information she offers. I printed out the "blooms first season perennials." I like her idea of companion plantings for grasses, roses, day lilies, etc. It is an all around great site.

I like Diane's too, although her seed selection is limited. Am also a sucker for Value Seeds--have had a lot of fun trying different fun varieties for not much $$. Also Select Seeds and Johnny's Selected Seeds are nice.

I said on another thread that I like Renee's (Shepherd's) Seeds for the quality of the plant material and choice mixes. Also Stoke's seeds are nice because they sell single color annuals (zinnias for instance)--you don't have to buy a 'mix' of zinnias.

http://www.stokeseeds.com/cgi-bin/StokesSeeds.storefront

I still like Hardy Plants/Specialty Perennials though because of the weird and wide ranging offerings they have. But I wonder if you ever received your seeds?.... (-;

Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

tabasco-i get so annoyed with mixes-because I think it can make some flowers look garish with the chosen colors.
gloria-I like the info as well. I think there are still enough unusual seeds and it's nice to support a small company
I haven't checked my mail today-I live 2 miles from my mailbox! lol I'll let you know.

OK everyone who hasn't swapped or already purchased seed--Park's is having a 35% off sale now and there is a coupon code for another 15% off!

http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10101&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&mainPage=homeseeds&cid=ppp000004&s_kwcid={ifcontent:ContentNetwork}{ifsearch:{keyword}}|{creative}

Put in this coupon code before you check out: 15PRKCPN for the additional 15% off.

Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

Thanks tabasco-Just an fyi-If you look at the bottom of the page at hardy plants on any listing they have a special too. This is what it says:
We have a 20 percent discount on orders placed from now until 01/01/2008.
When you check out enter 2007 into the coupon box as you are checking out and click "redeem".
Here's a link to a page that shows this, it's not on the home page, it's on the bottom of every description page
http://www.hardyplants.com/seeds/flower/SC.html

Great! I was just wishing that Hardy Plants/Specialty Perennials would do a sale sometime! That makes it much more fun to shop!

Also, I just made a nice purchase on Park's. Didn't ask for the shipping discount, but I can see how you might if you didn't place a big order....

Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

So nothing in my mailbox from Valueseeds or hardy perennials yet, hopefully some point in the next few days. It was just a holiday weekend, so maybe tomorrow!

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

My order from Specialty Perennials was shipped on 10/31/07 (placed the order on 10/12) and I received it a few days later. They sent two bonus packets of seeds, too. flowerhead410, just give 'em a little more time, they're sure to ship your order soon.

I ordered from Diane's Seeds for the first time last year, and was very pleased with their service. I'll probably order from her again, if I ever use the trillions of seeds I already have.

I'm a serious seed addict - just show me a picture of a pretty plant/flower and I MUST HAVE IT! Rather than go into rehab, I'm gonna try cold turkey, and stay away from all these seed sales going on now.

Famous last words ....

PV

Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

It really isn't the kind of thing you truly NEED to have immediately. We can't plant them yet and all that really happens when we get them is some drooling and pining, so I'm fine waiting(I'm trying to convince myself too) Honestly though, for the selection, I don't think a couple weeks wait is bad. You'd have to go to a bunch of different sites and put in hours-or maybe even weeks worth of effort-to find what they offer elsewhere. I hope their rating gets boosted from us talking about them here, because I just love what they have and would hate to see the site disappear!

Wichita Falls, TX(Zone 7a)

Uggghhh! I placed my order with Hardyplants.com on 11/24/07, my credit card was charged on 11/26/07. I still haven't received my seeds! I have emailed once. After no response, I called and left a message. Still no call back. I called and finally got an answer. The man said, "well, those should have already shipped. I will check on it and get them sent out as soon as possible if they haven't."

Guess what? After waiting for more than a week, still no seeds. Called back and the same man told me that he couldn't check to see if the seeds had gone out at that time, but he would check and get them sent out. I even told him about the bad feedback the company has been getting on Garden Watchdog. Who knows if I will ever see my seeds! I may have to file a complaint with my credit card company. I really just want my seeds!

Necia

Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

Hi earthtiller- My seeds took about 5 weeks to come from hardy plants. They gave me extras, too. I didn't think that was bad. My seeds from value seeds took about 3 weeks to come. I hope your seeds have come since you posted!

Flowerhead,
I'm glad that you finally got your seeds! I have rec'd mine (last week) and was able to get them wintersown yesterday. Here is what I posted on Garden Watchdog about my whole ordeal:

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/1605/

Happy Gardening!
Necia

Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

Thanks Necia, for the detailed report! I have to say, if anyone orders from them, then just order and forget about it. When it comes it will be a surprise! lol! We'll see how they germinate, if they do well, I will order again. I'm keeping good records thus far. Happy Gardening to you, too!

necia--good to know you got your seeds...

Weird that they charged your cr. card and then took so long to send them out...

are they some really rare plant seeds, or something like that? Just wondering...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

uh uh I ordered November 20, 2007 and I'm still waiting. What with Christmas mail and border delaysI wasn't too worried. Now I'm worried :(

Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

Tabasco-They do have a lot of unusual seeds, items you will find nowhere else. Despite their negative reviews, I will continue to order from them, as long as I get good germ. rates. UNfortunately, if you check out their site, they also do not have a lot of pics : (

Yes, I have ordered seeds from Hardy Plants several times and never had a problem. In fact, they were quite helpful.

That's why I wondered if the seeds necia and earthtiller ordered were some that had to be collected from some Himalyan mountain top or something!

I like it that they have such a range and variety and are so straightforward in their write-ups. (Can't really call them descriptions!)

Have to get my wintersowing done today. I am dreaming of springtime and spending too much time looking at seed catalogs and not enough time actually sowing my seeds!

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

Yes, I am sowing today too with a huge number of their seeds.
The varieties that they offer are incredible. I have ordered from them for years. Ordering on line with a credit card seems to work best with me.

I cannot wait to see the germination of some of these rare seeds! I think winter sowing gives them the best opportunity to germinate in the spring.

Hi guys!

Tabasco, that is too funny! I don't think that my seeds are too rare. I finally have them wintersown. I only have a couple of other seeds to get ws and I will be finished (hopefully!) LOL Here is a list of the seeds that I ordered from Specialty Plants:

Achillea ageratifolia
Agastache rupestris 'Apache Sunset'
Anthemis tinctoria 'Kelwayi'
Asclepias incarnata 'Soulmate'
Aster alpinus 'Goliath'
Coreopsis grandiflora 'Double Sunburst'
Centranthus ruber 'Coccineus'
Salvia officinalis
Salvia penstemonoides
Scutellaria pontica
Petalostemon purpureum
Penstemon centranthifolius
Penstemon strictus
Lavandula angustifolia 'Hidcote Blue'
Nepeta x faassenii 18Fat Cat Select 19
Solidago canadensis 'Golden Baby'
Verbena bipinnatifida
Veronica spicata spp. nana 'Blue Carpet'
Veronica spicata 'Sightseeing Mix

Great list! Can't wait to see pics of your WS seedlings! Now I'll go read your Garden Watchdog post.

Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

Well tabasco, if you ever get any seeds that are that rare will you grab some for the rest of us while you are there?

Ha, ha. Not going to Himalaya this month, but when I do I'll collect plenty of seeds. If I get arrested, you'll have to take up a collection and bail me out though!

Am going to California tomorrow and I'll see what I can scare up in the way of seeds or bulbs. Will be down in Fallbrook where so many of the flower farms are...

Boy, continuing on about Specialty Perennials--there are some frustrated seed buyers on the Specialty Perennial Garden watchdog thread, though! I wonder what's going on with them...I never had a bit of trouble with them.

Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

You know I was thinking it's because folks exert more effort when there is something to complain about ( not saying this to reduce the validity of any complaints) but I was very pleased with my order and heard they take a long time, so even though I was antsy to get my order because I was excited, I was ultimately pleased with the service and I posted no review. SO I think you have more negative posters post to vent, but positive folks are just sitting happy checking out their seeds. So....I posted a positive review for them.

Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

Oh yeah-and of course we'll bail you out Tabasco, just hide the seeds somewhere good before they confiscate them! (please no one reprimand me, I wouldn't really take any endangered seeds or encourage some one to do so)
Good luck with your Cali flower adventures!

Ha, ha. "Cali flower adventures"! That's what I'll name one of my DG articles!

Just returned last night from Los Angeles. Didn't get to Fall brook flower farms as my sis down there got overtaken by her MIL's broken hip episode and I wanted to steer clear of that. So next time. Lot's of wild flowers blooming though, because of all the rain, I guess.

Did visit Huntington Gardens in Pasadena and the new Children's museum garden. Interesting. Didn't collect any seeds.

But did just receive an e-mail notice from John Scheepers' Kitchen Garden seeds that it's about time for me to start some of my indoor seeds. They very kindly sent a timetable for seed starting that I posted on the Cottage Garden Forum, if anyone is interested.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/812449/

I am doing a lot of Wintersowing, but want to try some indoor seed starting too, now that I have my confidence built up from success at Wintersowing....

And if you want a neat catalog with lots of good esoteric information about heirloom and Euro vegetable and flower seeds, send for the John Scheepers Kitchen Garden seeds catalog. It makes great bedtime reading during the winter... http://www.kitchengardenseeds.com/ I haven't ordered seeds from them (just loads and loads of spring bulbs) so I can't vouch for the seeds, but I bet they're nice.

Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

Great resource Tabasco, thanks! Sounds like a good time in Cali nonetheless. Always too little time too many great things to do! I am an artist and I find that visiting museums there is never enough time!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.