propagation methods?

Campobello, SC(Zone 7a)

I know 2 ways...cut it-stick in water / cut it-stick in soil. What I don't know is what these are officially called and what the other methods below (copied from PF) involve.

From leaf cuttings
From herbaceous stem cuttings
By simple layering
By air layering
By tip layering
By serpentine layering
By stooling or mound layering

Can someone please explain? I looked around and only found this forum. If this is already all explained somewhere, a link would be really appreciated.
Thank you!

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi DD,

Here are a few links to help you understand the different techniques.

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/plantsci/landscap/h1257w.htm
http://www.cartage.org.lb/en/themes/sciences/BotanicalSciences/PlantReproduction/PlantPropagation/PlantPropagation/PlantPropagation.htm
http://www.always-online.com/owens/plant/propagat.htm

I hope you can find some information that will help you. If you don't quite understand one of the techniques, then just Google it and you should find something worth using.

Donna

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

You can also try DG's gardening dictionary "Gardenology" to look up terms you're not familiar with http://davesgarden.com/guides/terms/

Campobello, SC(Zone 7a)

Thank you both!
"Gardenology"...hmmm. I can't tell you how long I looked for a dictionary on this site! I was looking in the wrong places. Thank you :-)

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

You might wanna breeze through this thread, too...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/597232/

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Pagancat............those are great instructions by Critter..........the only thing I see left out on cuttings or leaves.......is that I always use a dome of some kind for a couple of weeks to produce high humidity and I like to root inside under gro lights................just my personal preference..............

During the summer months I notice I can do it outside without domes..........we have high humidity anyway.............

Yeah, probably especially this summer, right?

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

What is Dave's Garden doing with our posts? They put in periods and take out periods. This is frustrating. I saw a thread about what is going on to discourage people from rambling thoughts using too many periods, but this is ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!! The site is even messing with my capitals and spaces.

Campobello, SC(Zone 7a)

Thank you PC! :-)

Gladly, girlfriend! Actually, Wrightie and I had talked about this for a bit... you should ask her if anything worked well for her or if it fell out of favor...

Campobello, SC(Zone 7a)

do impatiens root in water? just got a frost warning for tonight so I guess I can kiss them all goodby. I just clipped a handful, dumped them in the sink with soapy water to get the ants off (the ants loved them this year for some reason) and put them in a vase for now. Not much time to do anything else at I got the frost warning at 10:30 and start work at 11...
Same question for my geraniums, which I haven't cut yet.

Yup, I've seen where some folks grow their impatiens in ponds, so I would think they'd do fine in water. I think someone else (on the top 10 easiest thread?) said they stick the geranium cuttings in damp soil.

Campobello, SC(Zone 7a)

Thanks on the impatiens. I saw the same on the geraniums but I'm out of the soil-less mix I used for my coleus cuttings (which are getting fuzzy and I have to keep using peroxide on, you don't want to know how I feel about that!) and all I have is some MG potting soil that's in a big pot outside and wet. I dump the big bags into a big pot and scoop from the pot instead of the bag. When the pot gets low, I get another big bag. The soil in the pot is probably only 2 weeks old but has been outside for the week straight rain we had. This is my first year doing cuttings (realizing how spoiled I was in Cali about right now) and with the luck I'm having with the coleus, starting to wonder if I should just stick with water rooting.

Mmm - another way of taking care of the fuzz would be a small fan. Additionally, a Zen Master Propagator friend (heh) used to use Chamomile tea in a spray bottle to take care of damping-off, maybe that would kill fuzzies, too? Not that peroxide doesn't do the trick, but if you feel like you have to do it too often....

Are you doing the coleus in water, or in soil?

Campobello, SC(Zone 7a)

both. I have coleus in water everywhere. Coleus in pots everywhere. 3 flats of clippings. Most look good but all the leaves that fell off turned fuzzy and some of the stems turned fuzzy. I pull out dead leaves every day and so far have lost about 5 or 6 completely (not too bad I think for starting out with over 100). You saw how small mine stayed this year. The one's that actually got semi big, I cut big and stuck in water a few weeks ago. I planted them in pots weekend before last and lost one. I took clippings from everything and today got the last of the big one's and some of the long stemy looking ones and put them all in a vase. I figured with how disappointed I was with them this year, I wasn't going to buy more next year to be disappointed again so going to try and get them big in the house first before I plant them outside in the spring. I've so far hit them with peroxide twice and not sure if constantly doing so is bad. I have chamomile tea but haven't used it yet and that was my next plan of attack since I didn't want to keep using the peroxide.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.