Need advice on when to harvest these seeds?

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I have a tropical Hibiscus sabdariffa ~ Roselle. The fruits are edible (and tasty) but this is my first plant and I am wanting seed.

Thumbnail by podster

Because it is my first year, I am unsure when it is time to harvest the seeds. Anyone here have any experience or ideas? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thumbnail by podster
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

On my hardy hibiscus, the pods turned brown and crunchy and started splitting open... I could see round, brown, hard seeds inside so I figured they weren't going to get any readier! I'd think tropical hibiscus might be similar. ?

I am anxious to harvest seed but have found that the plant will continue blooming is the calyces are harvested. I supposed I have better wait for the seed instead. The red husks are actually separating so I should be able to watch the seeds. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this Hibiscus. pod

This message was edited Oct 20, 2007 9:12 PM

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Those seed pods are almost as pretty as the flower.

Thank you ~ they are and I am hoping for plenty of seed. From the reading I have done, all parts are edible from leaves to blooms to seed pods. The calyces taste like crabapples or maybe cranberries... Need to leave them alone tho to produce seed. 8 )

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.