Seed Saving for Beginners?

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

I recently collected seeds from a Helenium, a flower that I love, and was wondering what I now need to do to increase the chances of some germinating. They were browned and dried on the plant. I also found dried, browned hollyhock pods full of seeds (which, admittedly, I scattered after reading one can direct sow them in fall), marigolds, and red salvia seeds inside their dried flowers... it's all very tempting! Will these seeds actually germinate or do I need to prepare them somehow?

I've been reading some of the threads here to pick up information and I've had a look at the UK seed website -- can anyone recommend anything else to beginners?

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Hi Peckhaus. My first recommendation is always "Just do it!", for most things anyway. Most of what I've learned about sowing different seeds is a combination of trial and error and research when I have problems. LOL Sort of like "If all else fails, read the manual."

Most seeds of common annuals and many perennials require no special treatment to germinate. If you want to test them for germination rate, try starting a few (4 or 5 of each) inside just to see how many sprout for you. Details about length of time to germinate, depth to sow, etc. can be found on many mail order nursery sites, and you've already discovered the UK seed site which is a great resource.

I'm sure others will pop in with more detailed info for you too. I just always found starting simply was best for me personally.

--Ginny

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Ginny. I'll just give these seeds a try and see what happens!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.