zone 4a - what works?

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

We have 2 small clumps of very sick blue spruce that have to be removed. (6 trees total, planted in threes an much too close together I think. Probably looked good when they were small, two or three home owners back.) The two clumps are at most 40 feet center to center.

I'm thinking that I might want to replace them with fruit trees, but I have almost no experience with fruit trees. (My parents had apple trees at the house we lived in until I was 12 - but they had not planted them. Besides, that was zone 6.)

So here are my questions:
1) What kinds of fruit and nut trees work in zone 4a? I know some apples and some cherries work. I believe walnuts work, but that doesn't matter, since I'm allergic to them. I would love to grow peaches - but I don't think there are any that are hardy in zone 4.

2) How can I get the most variety in this fairly small space? I don't want to crowd the trees (like the poor unfortunate blue spruce.) I know that some kinds of fruit require two different varieties be present in order to bear fruit. I'd also like to stretch the season of ripe fruit out as much as possible.

3) When should I plant?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

There are peaches that are listed as hardy in zone 4, as well as nectarines. Your best bet tho, is to contact your local extension office ( county agent) for a list of recommendations for your area. They will also have cultural recommendations tailored for your area.

Saint Clair Shores, MI(Zone 6b)

You can likely grow raspberries (and blackberries maybe) especially if you are willing to cover the canes with leaves.

I know you can grow ribes species fruit. Things like Currants (try red first as black currants are an acquired taste) and gooseberries. Its likely you can grow seaberry and maybe even some of the hardier grapes as well.

I would try a red currant first, and you're right productivity is generally larger with more than one plant. Currants are small plants and you can likely fit two together in very little space.

~Chills

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Most apple trees, and European pears and a few cherry trees grow in zone 4a, including some very good ones also quite a few plums and a few apricots that will grow in zone 4a. I agree with Farmerdill though, that you should check with your county extension agent. There are lots of ins and outs of what grows really well in any location. It is the job of the country extension agent to know what grows well in your county. I have learned a wealth of information about fruit trees from mine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.