OK...Confess

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Okay everyone....fess up?
How many of you are so excited about winter sowing that you just HAD to start SOMETHING inside?

OK, I will admit it. I HAD to put some seeds in *lol*

I have 3 or 4 different datura already sprouting
Luna Blush Hardy Hibiscus
3 different types of Platycodon

What am I going to do with these come February? I guess grow them as houseplants *lol*

OK, any other confessions out there? *lol*

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Funny you should mention this! Last night I was cruising around some of the seed sites and looking in my seed box for something I could get going!

...Even thinking/dreaming about buying a green house to over winter them in....LOL

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

LOL, I'm looking at my little platycodon seedlings right now and saying to them "now where am I going to put you when you get bigger?" *lol*

I know I started WAAAY too soon but I just couldn't help myself. It will probably be June before they can go outside. That is a VERY long time to have pots full of babies *lol* SOOO much fun though. Helps get through the coming winter months that's for sure :)

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm soaking/washing some iris seeds. Replanted the beds at my sons school entrance and put all the old flowers in my compost. Who do you think popped off all the seedheads? LOL

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

haven't started seeds yet - still collecting them and sorting them - but I have been tempted!

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

i will start daylily seeds soon....even some i crossed :-)

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Ok, since this is the confession thread, I admit to more than just wanting to start seeds now. I have to confess that I just yesterday planted out two winter sown containers. Blackberry lilies and some daylily seedlings have been contently growing in their milkjug homes since I put them under the shade of a pine tree last January.
And yes to wanting to start early also. This year I'm going to sow a wildflower meadow in addition to inside sowing and outside wintersowing. So much enjoyment from seeing seedlings come up!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Okay, I'm with Cordeledawg, I've already "winter sown" (fall sown?) a couple of milk jugs. I do have an excuse though; I taught a winter sowing workshop in late September at our local horticultural society, and I prepared a couple of milk jugs complete with soil and seeds as a demo, and voila, I have two jugs of columbine seeds outside....

Joanne Ü

(Oh yeah, how long is everyone's seed list for next year's WS? I've got more than 40 already... Uh oh)

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I too, am just collecting and sorting.

I dont have any soil or containers really -- haven't begun to save.... BUT my list should be shorter than last year.

I have have seeds that are "wild flower mix" that I plan to just direct sow, or maybe a lil of both, WS a handful and spread the rest.

Last year, much of my direct sow didn't come up, but in other spots it did great.

Hopefully, I'll get the help that my neighbor keeps promising -- she wants to rent a rototiller and make a HUGE garden -- we'll see.

so - back to topic... i probably wont start til Feb'ish like last year. Guess it all depends on how bored i get this winter.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Cordeledawg, are you going to plant your wildflower seeds in an area that has grass? I'm wondering if it would keep the grass down. It sounds beautiful!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Hey there, Raggedyann. Yes the area around both sides of my pond will be left natural. I'll clear patches here and there, just enough to sow wildflower seeds. If I completely tilled both sides, it would unearth mega evil weed seeds that would take years to control. I've already planted many butterfly host plants in the area so chemicals are out of the equation.

Thumbnail by Cordeledawg
Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

I have started collecting milk jugs for sowing in and I am in several seed swaps for seeds, part of which can be WS. On the Monthly Mayhem RR forum I will be hosting a WS swap. Keep an eye open on that thread about Dec 1st.

I have been going thru my seeds and trying to decide what tropicals I need to start now for planting in the spring.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

So, dylancgc, if you start tropicals now are you putting them under lights? I suppose so....?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Last year I did a lot of wintersowing in soda bottles - not so good. The roots get all twisted up in the spiral grooves and there just isn't enough dirt/space to keep a plant happy for how long it takes a lazy girl like me to plant them out. I've started saving those enormous half-gallon milk containers.

xx, Carrie

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

I have several passionflowers, a banana tree and Brugmansias to start. I guess Brugs aren't tropicals but the passionflowers and banana is. I want a red banana really bad but haven't found one yet. Right now they are in the main(big) bathroom under skylights but I may have to put them under lights at some point.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I want to take cuttings from my brugs as well as start some seeds I have - though I have no idea what I will do with all the brugs! I have four already lol

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

I have pink brugs that are growing well and I have white seeds that I need to start. I would like to have other colors of seeds to try. I haven't done very well with cuttings. I may have one that is going to grow for me, all the others (10-12) died.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

How does one get brug seeds? Do you have to pollinate them yourself? I am going to try cuttings.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Thlis is impossible . . . quick - somebody . . . . give me the name of something I can start right now - that will germinate quickly . . .

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

I got my brug seeds in a trade. They were NOID though so I will just label them that.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Come on you guys! Help me out here . . . what can I start now?

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

i'm going to start some daylily seeds....not sure what else

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I can start daylily seeds now? Cool!

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

yes you can!
i had a lot of luck ws'ing a bunch last year too :-)

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Hmmmm -- last week i plucked some seeds off of my Stella d'Oro lilies -- maybe i'll give it a go too.

do they take long to germinate?

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Are they difficult - I wonder where I would get info on how to sow them . . . what did you do? How deep do I plant the seeds? etc.

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

i pre-sprouted them in a baggie with a moist paper towel
when i saw signs of them sprouting i put them in a plastic cup with dirt covering them very lightly
i put all of the seeds in unless it's obvious one is not going to work....for the most part i put all of one cross in one large cup or container (yogurt, plastic jugs, etc)
it is recommended to bottom water and not let them dry out

i did not provide extra heat (unless it was extremely cold) or light, just set them in a bright location

the seeds do need to be refrigerated first...i believe i've seen 3 weeks mentioned as the amount of time

when i ws'd them i just put bunches in milk jugs and then ended up with mounds of daylilies to plant...none of mine bloomed during their first summer however, on the dl forum several different people had blooms off of plants 9 mos old....

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Michaela, calm thyself.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL Carrie.

larienda -- thanks for the info.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Well - it's either play with the plants - or mark papers. Guess which I would rather do! :-)

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

i know...i know!!!

plants :-)

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Right! Gee . . . I wish I had a prize for you . . . .

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

that's ok...i went and pretended i knew how to divide a peony....depending on pout factor i guess i could find out if it will bloom next summer...fingers crossed (toes too!)

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm crossing my fingers and toes for you as well :-)

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm going to try rose seeds. I think if I start them this fall and grow them under lights or in a south window over the winter (assuming any of them germinate), they may be big enough to plant in the spring/summer. That will give me something to fuss with until January.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Let us know how you do, grampapa. I am currently trying to root roses! so far, I have successfully rooted a New Dawn.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I had a new dawn rose - it died last winter. :>(

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

no way! Well, if I get this to grow, I will take cuttings in the future and make you a new one!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

OK thanks, hon. Then there is the question of why I successfully killed it.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

maybe it was old.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.