My garden's feathered community.

Merino, Australia

I am interested to see what birds we all have in common and which are local to our own areas. I will try and put a complete list of my feathered community and look forward to reading about others.
Don't forget to tell us about all their little habits and personalities. After all, without our feathered friends, we would not have so many interesting gardens.
Inhabitants of my garden village ---
The Mayor --a very bossy wattle bird. He thinks he's in charge and chases the other birds around the garden .

The Gum Tree Family - these are our children, the Magpies . Not just any magpies . This is a family headed by the matriarch, Mrs Bird. I have never seen a husband around, just children. She raised a child last year and as soon as he was able to fly, she bought him down to feed and said okay. feed him and we did. All year. I named him ( or her) Garbage He is so tame now that he will follow us around , eat from our hand and demand to be fed whenever he feels like it. Of course, Hubby will jump to his bidding every time. There are 3 other orphans that live here with Mrs Bird & son. Fido was left here and his mother ran away. She did not want to spend time feeding a child. Fido was named as he acts like a puppy, and follows you around for food. Hoppy just turned up and has a hoppy leg. He is a bit more timid because the others bullied him but he will hold his ground when a bone is involved.
Bone , you say, Yes we put out a bone for them. They love to pick at a leftover leg of lamb bone Usually we buy a large dog meat sausage for them but they do like the dry cat food.
There is another Magpie tribe that visit for food but they are only tolerated by ours and have to stay outside the gate.

The Ferals.- the Sparrows. There were only a few once but they breed like rabbits and dart around everywhere. They clean up after all the other birds. They like the nest boxes around the garden and fill them so full of nest material, it's a wonder they can even fit in.

The Sweet Lovers -- New Holland Honeyeaters . We have them every year. They are fantastic to watch as they seach for the sweet reward from all the flowers. They are so acrobatic and I sit and watch them as they hang around on the red hot pokers. They do like the abutilons too. We have one at the lounge window and can watch from inside as they go about their business. / They do like their bath and the little swimming pools (birdbaths )have to be filled each day

The Wren family. - Little wrens darting everywhere in the bushes is a common sight. I love to see the blue gradually appear on the proud little males. . I just wish they would go and play away from the car. I have to put little covers on the side mirrors to stop them looking at themselves and pooping all over the car.They are cute though.

There are other visitors here for a lot of the year. I try to make sure their is some sort of plant for them to feed from, whether they look for nectar or insects.
There are - Greeneyes,little fat imps that seem to be able to smell a ripe grape 2 states away and fit through the bird net.
Yellow tail Black Cockatoos., these come to feed on the pine cones and will sit quietly above while we go about our business.
Galahs - not a lot thank goodness as they can make a mess of a garden. Usually just the infants , left in the tree to wait for food while the parents are out.
White cockatoos - thankfully again, only the babies left to wait for mum and dad. The adults can do a lot of damage to hubbys radio antennas so are discouraged by banging on the tin fence. The noise sounds like a gun and scares them off. They do get around down in the town and are so noisy and messy.
The odd Hawk and Kestral, even a few Letterwing Kites and a White Falcon use the tall antenna tower to watch for food.
Gang Gang Cockatoos - usually call in on their way to some where else.
Crimson Rosellas.- Love to hang around and chew on the gum tree flowers and sometimes on my new pink rose shoots. Not too much of that these days as there is plenty of other food for them. They too, like their bath.
The odd Mudlark and a very few starlings , thank goodness
The Grey Shrike Thrush - very tame and a beautiful whistler. Sadly our one lost its mate to a feral cat. I hope it finds a new mate next year.

The Bandits - The Crows, these are such cunning birds as they sit up in their vantage points watching for us to put out the magpies food. There are often border skirmishes between them.
There are the happy little Willy Wagtails and a similar Flycatcher, but not as jumpy, There are others but I have already written a book so had better stop. I do get carried away, but then aren't all our feathered friends worth it ?
I look forward to reading lots of pages about all your birds. Pic of Mrs Bird having her tea last night.
Happy gardening.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Coffs Harbour, Australia

We have good old Maggies to. They feast on the cat biscuits but stay away from the dogs, who love to chase them. They nest in a tree out front and i love watching the morning walkers all ducking and shaking sticks as the maggies swoop them. LOL
Every morning we awaken to the laughing kookaburras (about 5am) They must have a nest nearby. I think they are my favourite.
Blue faced Honey eaters visit the front veranda and eat the bugs out of the hanging baskets. They also get into the red hot pokers when they are in flower.
Niosey Miners are abundant and live up to their name. They nest all around the garden and harrass the Kookaburras and magpies in gangs.
Galahs are regular visitors to the lawn areas as are rosellas, grass parrots and lorikeets.
They also make a mess of the yard when the gums are in flower. At the moment the callistemon are flowering and there is a multitude of colourful parrots visiting.
The occassional white Cockatoo flies over, but we have the dogs trained to chase them off, as they are very destructive and may I suggest not encouraging them by leaving food out for them.
Wild ducks/wood ducks. I didn't know ducks could land in trees untill I saw these guys. They are so funny and swim in the dams around the estate and every spring they are waddling around showing off their cute little brood of ducklings.
Plovers are abundant, but once again the dogs keep them away. I'm glad because they are sooooooo noisey at night. When you get close to the nest, one parent bird will fly away from it a bit, and lie there flapping one wing as though it is injured, (hoping to lure you away from the nest) If you continue toward it, they will swoop and call.
Top knot pidgeons are around also and are regular visitors to the chook yard. The food has now been placed in the coop which has discouraged them considerably.
Around the dams and waterways, there are herons and Egrets and a couple of years ago we had a pair of visiting brolgas, which looked and sounded like pterodactyls!
I only put old seeded bread out very occasionally, and my main contribution to our bird visitors is to provide clean water. I don't want them too well fed as i would like them to do my insect control for me.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Adelaide, Australia(Zone 10a)

We have cockatoos that live over the river but we are in their flight path and its funny because we think THEY sound like pterodactyls!!! We also have blackbirds, sparrows, top notch pigeons, murray magpies, wattles, new holland honeyeaters. Wish we could attracts wrens but nothing so far and we occasionally get lorikeets but they stay at the tops of trees and dive bomb us with callistemon flowers!!!

Well now noisy minors....are always in the shrubs and love the chinese lanterns....fairy wrens.... blue wrens .....finches....butcher birds .....willy wag tails....maggies....black cockies....major Mitchells....sulphur crested cockies......some I don't know but they are some sort of wattle birds I think .....native pigeons.....hawks......ibis....pee wees.....grass budgies.....tawny frogmouths.....kingfishers.... Kookaburras....and at the big dam at the back we get the odd pelican ...wild ducks and geese and a pair of black swans........loorikeets....rosellas....currawongs......just about everything really .......funnily enough there are never any sparrows..yet up the corner at the servo there are heaps.....would anyone know why?
Love my birds!:)

Thumbnail by

This is just the littlest nest .....in my camelia tree can you see the she oak needles ...a little blue thread and some of my "old man's whiskers"?......dear little thing......Which birdie sings all night....mum used to say it was saying "sweet pretty birdie".....is that the willie wagtail does anyone know ....it sings outside my window every night.

Thumbnail by
Merino, Australia

Isn't it just fantastic to live with all these birds ? They certainly amuse us with their antics and definitely have their own personalities. We have been out shopping all day and on arriving home were met at the door by a mob of very vocal magpies. "How could you go out all day and leave us to starve ?" What actors they are. Even though we do feed them we are careful not to overdo it and they spend a lot of time finding their own food. I do love your little nest chrissy . It is just beautiful. Don't the birds put such effort into them ?
I'm sure if I had to build a nest it would not be half as fine. Mrs Bird used a lot of Hubby's electrical wire for hers and I hope she lined it with something soft. I find that the smaller birds do like the fibre from my hanging baskets too. Happy days all. I am going to put my feet up and relax.
Mrs Bird trying to fit too much in her beak.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Coffs Harbour, Australia

We don't get sparrows either, but they do in town. I think its too much competition and threat from the bigger meat eating birds. I forgot we also get ibis here. Funny story! A friend from NZ was visiting and a bunch of Ibis flew over making their terrible noise. When they landed in the backyard, our visitor was horrified and said, "I have nivva seen such an ugly burd un my life"! Lol
We have had owls here also, but as it has been dark, its a bit hard to tell what kind. They just go "Thump" in the night as they land on the gutters.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Not my photo by the way, courtesy of G Threlfo/Nature Focus © Australian Museum

Merino, Australia

Good morning all.
Hello sue , aren't kookaburras great? I used to watch one when he was sitting on his watching place. As soon as he saw a lizard, off he would swoop and you could actually hear him thump the ground as he landed on the lizard.
I used to live in Bright in northern Victoria looking after my Mum when she was still alive. The bird life there was really mixed. It was nothing to have about 40 Bower birds on the lawn along with as many Currawongs. There were lots of different parrots too.
I miss the call of the Currawong. I have seen and heard the odd one here as it is on it's way to somewhere else.
When I went on my trip around Australia back in 1995, I saw an enormous variety of birds but the memory that stays with me most is coming down through Queensland and hearing the Currawong call. It immediately took me back to Bright . and the mountains.
Strange what memories we do have and what they bring to mind.
Today there is SUN so I am off to do a bit outside. I may just sit in the sun for a while and watch my feathered friends as they clean up my garden.
Have a great day all.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Coffs Harbour, Australia

When I used to live in the blue mountains there were lots of Currawongs so Now, when we here the odd one, I always think of rain and mist. My brother used to work on Mt Buffalo as an adventure guide and used to live in Bright. I went there once!
Sue

I love the call of the Currawong.....so ........I don't know......so "home"........like gum trees and kangaroos.Oh for a bit of rain and mist .....the air is full of smoke!.......guess that's "home" too.

Townsville, Australia(Zone 10a)

We have minor birds, sparrows,cockatoos, rainbow lorikeets,butcher bird (it has a long neck and is not attractive), kingfisher,honeysuckers,peewees and I saw a bower bird at the front the other day, there is a host off different birds that I dont know their names.

Merino, Australia

Good morning chrissy, Sue and annette.
I have just been out looking around the garden and was inundated with magpies. The new babies are now coming down on the ground so there will be quite a crowd at feeding time.
I had to put up a shade cloth door on the epi house as the sparrows were roosting in there at night . They do make a mess. We only used to have a few but they have certainly multiplied. Probably due to the abundance of insects etc now that there is such a large garden area.
I don't know exactly what the Currawong call does in the mind but it certainly brings out the nostalgia . I feel quite homesick for the mountains when I hear them.
Annette, have you heard the Butcher bird sing ? I think they have a more musical warble than the magpie.
Sue , your brother was lucky to work in such a beautiful place as Mt Buffalo. I used to joke that if I ever had enough money, I'd buy the mountain and live there. We used to go up nearly every week just to feed the Rosellas. They come and sit on you hands just like the parrots in Queensland .
I hope all that smoke does not spell any danger to your area chrissy. I think the fire season will be bad this year due to so much grass growth. Hubby has been getting all his maps and books etc ready for the start of the fire season.
I may have mentioned that he is the Communications Officer for this area so is up on all the info. We are lucky on our hill as there are no trees around just the ones on our place. The area is clear for miles although grass fires can occur the growth here is sparse.
I am looking out the window at the wattle birds having a bath. I have to go and fill the "swimming pools" as they all like their morning bath
Must go as we are off to Hamilton to a Trash & Treasure. I will come home with some sort of oddments and of course, more plants.
Have a happy day all.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hey Jean,
I hit the markets today too! I got a lovely cactus (in flower) for $8 and a tray of rock orchids for $20! Stoked! Not to mention a bag of avocados, a book, a vege steamer and 5 "birds nest fern" tube stocks to pot on and grow for my stall. I also shouted myself a cappucino and cake! It was a nice morning! I hope you had as good a time as I!
Sue
P.s I'm after an ID on the cactus!

Thumbnail by weed_woman

Well looks like you have all had fun ...cute flower on that cactus....it is amazing how thorny ....prickly little things like cactus can make such dainty and delicate blooms!
I have had people coming and going all day and am dying to have some time to myself.....love the people but there is no time!
Have a good one everybody :)
chrissy

Merino, Australia

Good morning Sue and chrissy. I had a great time at the market but it was quite warm which was a change . I have a feeling it was the precursor to a very hot summer. I bought another lot of bearded iris, 14 beautiful ones, 6 with names , the others without. . Today I have to go and find room for them all. I also found another epi and a large zygo.
My epi had no flower so there is a surprise in store for me there.. There is not much food at these trash & treasures as they are run by the local Lions Club who usually just run a sausage sizzle. You can get cups of tea though for which I was grateful. We have our local Show next week so I will be selling a lot of plants again.
I have found where I can get more Iris at an Iris garden near Portland , about 3/4 of an hour from here.
I will have to go and check it out as they do have other plants .
The Iris I did buy were all in flower and there was more than one rhizome in each bag , so they were a real bargain.
Lots more flowers for the honey eaters. I have a vase of the iris flowers on the table here and the perfume is lovely. Funny, but you usually don't think of Iris as being perfumed but these all are. We had rain last night and this morning is really perfect. Warm with a bit of cloud cover and NO WIND.
I am going out to plant these Iris . Pic is one of them
Happy gardening all.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Love the perfume of iris but sadly they seem to burn right off very quickly here......having a cooler place would mean they last longer right?.....yours are beautiful.
The zygos are starting up now

Thumbnail by

and

Thumbnail by
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Nice Zygo's Chrissy. I noticed my one up the back (red also) is in flower too.
You mentioned a white cane begonia in Seed swap thread, mine is wayyyyy to small for a cutting, so if you get near one, get a peice for Sunset please. I should be able to get her the orange one.
Hows your day been?

As you can see like the eppys they just live there ignored and neglected...just faithfully flowering every season......from now on I will do the right thing.....because I now appreciate them!
look what else has come back after the freeze damage :)

Thumbnail by

Pretty fair day considering the heat!.....lots of new things coming on the Jacaranda is starting up now so that is always wonderful! I don't know if you remember but hubby killed my pink lantern with paint thinner ....well much to my happy surprise one of my cuttings bloomed today and guess what? a pink one ....I had forgotten that I had taken a cutting.....hoooray there you go! hope everyone is enjoying their day!

Thumbnail by
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Yes, it's a nice time of year when everything is doing something new! And all before the real heat sets in! I'm off to mulch some green waste now, so I'll catch everyone on DG tomorrow!
Sue
Pic is Fejjoa flower (pineapple guava)

Thumbnail by weed_woman

MMMMMMM love it!

Merino, Australia

Hello chrissy and ww. Chrissy. I was just looking at your zygo pic. You have what I am after. These with the more daisy like open flower are different to the usual zygos with the tubular flowers.
I have seen them on American sites as Easter Cactus , also in books as Rhipsalidopsis.
I am no expert but they are very pretty. I saw a pic of one once in a lovely yellow color. As you know, in zygos, most of them are in pink shades with the other colors such as yellow, tinted through. I would like a piece of any colors you have in this open flowered type. I have a lot of the usual tubular zygos to trade.
I have some named varieties --Aspen (white), Lavender Lady (mauve shades), Gold Fantasy (gold tones),Fairy Tale (pink/white).
There is also a bright lipstick pink and the common pink. Mine have all finished flowering now as they start here in Autumn and go right through winter.
Pic is of Fairy Tale.
RAIN yesterday . Not a lot but welcome. Cooler weather but fining up again for weekend I hope as the local Show is on.
Planted all the new iris and am going out now to plant, or replant actually, my Vallota Lily. There were so many babies growing in the pot that they pushed poor old mum out of the pot.
Happy day .

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.