Iris from seeds

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

How do I propagate Iris seeds? Do I need to soak then stratify?

Dean_W

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Dean,
I've the same question, but have received no answer thus far. I've some bog-iris, I beleive they're La. Iris' seeds. They're hardy here, so I assume they can take soaking and stratification well? Hope others will chime in.

I believe mine are LA Iris too.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I'm going to do some research, will be back and share that with you. :-)

What I read is that it can be quite difficult to propagate them.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

You won't believe this but years ago I aske d about growing Iris seeds. The answer cam eback to take them, put them in a nylon stocking and put in the back of the toliet. Just rememeber to leave the tiddy bowl man out.

I was laughign my tail off over doign that. I thought they was playign a massiv e joke on me, but nope they wasn't and others used the same process so I did it. The constant water flushign scarifies and give s the proper cold chill for the seeds. If I remember right ha d to leave them in there for 30 days and then planted.

I plante d them and kept them warm in a cheap white contaienr from the dollar store adn they came up eventually. Problem was I over watere d them forgtting Iris liek to be on the dry side when young and they rotted. : (

Haven't done any since. Have a friend who just sent me some of her Iris seedlings so , will check with her and se e what she did to get her to go and when she holler s back at me will holler at ya.

Greensboro, AL

I believe the best thing to do is to put them outside for the winter in a pot. Come back and check them in the spring. i.e. winter sow.

Thanks for the information. Yes, I've heard about the stocking in the toilet trick. I look forward to hearing your reply.

I was thinking of just soaking them for a month, then winter sowing them in a pot.

Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

I just recently posted the Louisiana Iris question over in the Iris forum at http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/775835/ I have grown Oriental & Asiatic from seed just by placing them in potting soil in 6 packs with a plastic dome. They sprouted fairly quickly.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

PotemUp;
Hmmm, anyone ever confirm those seeds? Here these are what I collected from my Iris a little while ago. On the left is a Passi' fruit, ignore that. (It's invasive like kudzu down here).

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

Yes, someone in the thread does refer to removing the pithy exterior. Your seeds look like some Yellow Flag that I have. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/9178/ Definitely rated as invasive.

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Hello Lily_love, long time no see, is the seed pod on the right a psodocarpus, or yellow iris, looks good to me if it is.You mentioned "invasive", how so?Mike

Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

Apparently they are clogging waterways. They grow as an aquatic iris and have a high germination rate, as well as more rhizomes. http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/seagrant/iripse2.html

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Mine aren't yellow, they're blue. Are they the same? I've these contained in my little pond's margin. They have been behaving. Those I planted nearby hasn't spreaded out much either. They make attractive seeds.

Ooh, hi Mike. It's good to see you posting.

This message was edited Oct 17, 2007 1:56 PM

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Thanks PotEmUp, I can see that in a canel situation, but what I had in mind is to plat some in a waste warer ditch to control the annual wash out, that we get every year, and takes so much composted material with it.
So far every thing that I have planted in the mouth of that ditch, actually gully, has been washed out and away.This year I'm trying winter jasmine.Maybe those iris would look good, and hold back the heavy wash..Mike

Blue would look better in the marsh anyway.(You have to understand that the "marsh" is dry now)Mike

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

God's willing, hopefully next year it's going to be better. Mike, if you'd like the blue I'll mail you some seeds. Have you got some Texas Star (red) to share?

You bet I do!There were many blooms on the big reds this year.I am making a list for trades, and got you down.I would also like to try those seeds, however it will be a first on iris.Mike

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Mike,
I read last night, that those seeds need to be sowed fresh, if not they need to be stored in a vale/tube of water....I had the above pod several weeks ago. They may not be viable at present! I'll have more out there to share as they become mature. Keep in touch.
Kim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.