Best way to propagate cestrum nocturnum

Lehavim, Israel

I have a blooming cestrum nocturnum and would like to have another one in a different place. Which method works best, by seeds or cuttings? What size should be the cuttings? Is rooting hormone necessary?
Thanks

Pretoria, South Africa

I received some seeds in a trade, and I am impressed at the rate they germinated. I started them in baggies, and put them in potting mix as soon as the seeds showed any signs of germinating. My plants are already about an inch high.

Good luck,
Elsa

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

I have several that I rooted in water with an air stone and then put them in potting soil. The bloomed in the pot. I have done several of my plants that way and it has worked out nicely. Elaine

Lehavim, Israel

How long this you eave it in water?

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

It has been in the water for a month. They get good roots on them by that time. I hope you have success. Elaine

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

I propagate them from cuttings. I use a good starting soil and dip them in root starter. Put a cover on the flat and keep them damp. They seem to do very well. Some leaves will fall off the cuttings but they will come back. My cuttings are between 3 and 5 inches in length, depending on how much I trim back the stock plant. My stock is about 4 feet high and growing. You should trim them after the bloom to keep the plant from getting too big. Use the trimming cuttings to start new plants. Hope this helps.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.