help! it's starting again...

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Last year I bought so many more seeds than i could ever use... But now I know about TRAILING coleus and, well, I can afford seeds, even at $2-$3 a package, they are SO much cheaper than, say, cashmere sweaters or musical instruments or plants. Are you addicted to buying seeds? Do you make shopping carts at different online stores and buy them/ignore them?

xx, Carrie

Thumbnail by carrielamont
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

OMG Swallowtail seeds - but they don't have trailing coleus!

x, C

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

LOL @ "they are SO much cheaper than, say, cashmere sweaters or musical instruments"

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

For me, it's not starting again 'cause it never stopped! I do not need one more seed, but I just placed an order with Specialty Perennials anyway. And then someone had to go and mention sheffields.com for shrubs .....

I'm so totally addicted that it's pathetic.

PV

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Where can I find the seeds for trailing coleus?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Yes, Carrie, do tell. What's a good source for the trailing coleus seeds?

Karen

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

If I knew, wouldn't I be there instead of here? LOL, I don't know, but just in a quick Google search I saw a reference to saving seeds from them. I guess if I had any to start with...

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

I've never seen seed for a trailing variety of coleus..... BUT .... Rosy Dawn Gardens has a nice selection of them.

http://www.rosydawngardens.com

PV

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Now, why'd you have to go and mention trailing coleus? I've never heard of it!

I just received two more seed orders, one of which is a "medicinal herb garden" mix from Mountain Rose Herbs. OMG, I have waaaaaaaay more seeds than I could ever use. I picked up tons of packs while in England last Spring and I'm currently involved in a whopper of a seed swap.

I must have hundreds of packets of seeds, all of which are "organized" inside a bunch of bags and boxes, which are stored inside more bags and boxes. I keep outgrowing my storage systems! HELP.

You're right, Carrie. I guess that this is cheaper than running out and buying a new saddle ... or a horse to go with it. I think.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yep! I don't know how much saddles cost, but "riding" boots are pretty expensive, and horses; well, just think of how many shiny new pretty packages of seeds you could get for one dumb old smelly horse!

Rosy Dawn is where I first - no, I first admired someone's containers here, and she told me it was trailing coleus, and referred me to Rosy Dawn. OMG I must have spent an hour reading all about the different kinds of coleus they sell - not from seed, BTW, but vegetatively propagated. Think if I keep buying "rainbow wizard mix" and select the ones that are trailier than others, I could breed myself a trailing coleus?? Hmmmm. I wonder if they set seed at all.

But still, seeds and even plastic boxes and MORE plastic boxes to put them in are so cheap compared to, say, 1000 tc bed linens! Facials! I can think of many decadent things I could be wasting money on. I mean collecting!

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Girls I have a pretty decent coleus collection. If they make it through the winter I'll send you a couple of cuttings from my trailers. How's that sound? Not quite as much fun as WSing, but a heck of a lot easier. LOL.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Whoah! Lala, you just made my day... How does a cutting travel? I've just returned from yet another drooling trip to Rosy Dawn. I also found a place that will sell 100 plugs for $41. What would I do with 100 plugs of the same thing?????

xx, Carrie'

PS Lala, wanna be best friends forever? lol!

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Lala...thanks for the offer...I'll take you up on that.

Thanks, Deb

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

If packaged well cuttings will travel pretty decently. They sometimes look
worse for wear when they arrive at their destination and they ALWAYS look worse for wear the first couple of days they're in their rooting medium. But coleus are about the easiest thing there is to root and almost always bounce back.

Re the 100 plugs? Why you split them with a few friends of course. ;-)

(Pic is some of the cuttings I'm attempting to overwinter. This is my first year trying this so it's anybody's guess what I'll end up with in the spring.)

This message was edited Oct 17, 2007 4:47 AM

Thumbnail by Lala_Jane
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

That's "some" of the cuttings? I was thinking maybe one!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Yes - i went and bought a lot of seeds when T & M had a sale this summer. Now I have lots of stuff to winter sow! But I still want to buy MORE seeds hehehe. oh well . . .

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Hello, Please see my posting in plant trading if you have seeds you would be willing to share for a school: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/781499/
Thank you!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Are you kidding???? I have been waiting for an opportunity to get rid of a lot of seeds! Do you think they could use - say 100 datura seeds?

Thanks for passing on the message - and DH thanks you too - he thinks I am nuts saving all these seeds in the fridge lol

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Seandor, I'm sure they would be thrilled with any seeds you can share. Thank you so much! Cathy4

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Michaela,

My seeds are in a box marked 'seeds' near the radiator outlet. My brilliance escapes me at times... We don't even have room in the fridge for all the food!

x, Carrie

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

My seeds are in the bar fridge on the 3rd floor behind our (original) Victorian bar. We bought the fridge when we moved in - and hardly ever have anything in it (meanwhile I could really use a small fridge at my office - but can I take the little one - noooooo!) So rather than just have it sit there forever with 3 cold beers, I filled it with seeds :-)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yuck, I've never managed to acquire a taste for beer.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

A taste for seed collecting/acquiring, on the other hand.... :-)

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

The beers were brought by others - that is why they are still in the fridge - I agree with Carrie - yuck!

and with critter - yum!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

We have a maybe four or two year old bottle of champagne. But Michaela, now that I know my seeds are probably not viable, do i not have to go buy new ones?

Right on, critter!

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I saw the title of the thread and knew exactly what it would be. LOL! Yes, Yes, Yes and Yes! And I love each and every package, whether it was purchased, or traded for, it doesn't make any difference, I love them all.

And I want more!

Suzy

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

More, more, more! I got an envelope yesterday from Specialty Perennials!!!!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I pour over the 15 or so catalogs I get every winter/spring and make ridiculous lists of what I want then piddle around trying to scale it back to the "must haves". I buy way to much and show no signs of stopping:lol: Shopping online just made it worse=)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh I know! I was so disappointed when I filled out my first order form and sent it off to "somebody's cheap mailorder catalog", giving Mom all my saved up quarters and dollars and having her write out the check, and then getting back such junk 8 - 10 weeks later. But now.... online, credit cards, PayPal... is there no limit? Now that all my pretty impatiens and coleus are gone to frost, of course I'm thinking of impatiens and coleus seed, and petunias, and cosmos - need I go on? Seeds have so much potential, and stuff is just stuff!

x, Carrie

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Okay, talk to me about starting impatiens from seed. I have purposely avoided it because I tend to plant as many as ten flats of them in the Spring, so the thought of filling my basement with that many seed starts is just unthinkable... How many do you start from seed and what's your system?

Eek, I'd forgotten that this is the winter sowing thread. In my zone, impatiens could not be wintersown as far as I'm aware, hence the need to start them indoors under lights.

This message was edited Oct 29, 2007 7:15 PM

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Er, uh, are you talking to me? DH decided he was going to start some from seed one year, nd we had hem ALL over the kitchen table, but he forgot to water for too many days in a row and they all died. All the stuff I was talking about up there was stuff I always bought as plants! Didn't wintersow many annuals -- this was just my first year, after all.

xx, Carrie

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Whoops. I'm clearly on a roll tonight. I think I'll have a couple shots of cold medicine & tequila and call you in the morning...

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I grew 160 plus impatiens last year. I started the seeds in flats with plastic covers. They were on my desk in my office facing a LARGE north window. Once they had their 2nd set of true leaves, I transplanted them into little paper pots I had made. They were put outside on the front veranda of our home (probably around May) and were not planted into the garden until mid June.
When I planted them, they were sooo small compared to the pansies that I planted in April. But by mid-July the impatiens had completely covered the pansies.

Now that it is cooler, the pansies are recovered and blooming again, amongs the impatiens - which will probably be gone after tonight's frost.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Seandor, did you start them in flats of market packs one or two plants per plug? Or did you end up thinning them out?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Your impatiens survived last night?

Wrightie,

You can have a bad pack of seed, so if you start Impatiens 6-8 weeks early in a community pot, it's easier and cheaper. They don't take up much room until about 3 weeks before you'd want to put them out, and then they are a mess, take up a lot of room, need more water, all that jazz. They need bottom heat for best germination.

I have them self sow here, but if you want them to be the size of annuals at the garden center, you need to start them indoors under lights, or as Seandor, a large window. Don't let the hot spring sun burn into the window or they won't be happy.

If you want fancy bedders -- like doubles or the ones with the white star, I can tell you they were very difficult for me. I had really bad germination, especially on Value Seed seed, and also heavy losses. And the seed is expensive! I am going to buy plants of the doubles and the ones with the white star next year as early as I can, and take cuttings...the cuttings grow really fast if you have them inside because the cold evenings outside set them back a bit.

There is a kind from seed called Scarlet Baby -- do NOT buy that seed as the plants are inferior. (It's cheap seed, and I think it comes in Pink Baby and White Baby? I forget, but you can buy it from www.crosmanseeds.com, you just don't want to.). Scarlet Baby is easy from seed and starts out ok, but by mid summer you have to cut the plants back or they get really, really leggy and the foliage drops and what doesn't drop gets a spot disease. They probably get the spot disease even if you cut them back.

My 2c,
Suzy

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, my impatiens survived Sunday night - too early this morning to tell - but I suspect that Monday night may have done them in.

The impatiens seeds were first sown in a 12 inch square seed starter (3 in total). Later, they were thinned when they were transplanted into paper pots.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Illoquin, you are a Wealth O' Knowledge -- thank you! Maybe I'll go ahead and give them a whirl this year. Momma loves a challenge (but hates the thought of thinning out a zillion babies).

It looks like we managed to avoid a frost again last night.

Oh, Wrightie, you are too kind. And since last year was my first year with them, I am not sure I was the best to answer, but I figure anybody can chime in with their experiance. My best seed came from some plants growing up the street at a church that I snagged in Sep of last year. They planted red & purple, alternating, and out of those seeds I got a range of everything between red and purple, but purple is probably the dominant color.

That's great on the frost!

Suzy

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Yes - we dodged the bullit as well - impatiens are leggy - but blooming :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.