Ground Cover Cannas

Louisville, KY

I have never been much on breeding dwarf cannas I have always been more of a foliage, flower, and larger than life plants. But I do understand you need smaller plants to fill in under the larger ones. In my Canna breeding it has been much the same. I have been looking for really large foliage forms that make walls not ground cover, but when breeding you know to keep a eye out for the odd ball seedlings and I have seen a few very interesting dwarf forms. These don't seem to be the dwarfs like I see on the market 3 to 4 feet tall dwarfs. These are the 1 to 2 feet short ones. I really wonder do all of you out their really want dwarf cannas? I have people form large companies telling me that they really look for dwarf forms in cannas. I am wondering if its the grower that wants them due to it being easier to move and ship small flowering plants or if its the customers looking for dwarfs?

Either way these are some of the smallest cannas I have seen. Would like to know if their are some smaller or similar around. This one I nicknamed Mini Me. I am not completely sure if its a great plant for the large market yet. But it does seem to have a lot of potential. The flowers are large and pinkish peach. It grows to 1 to 2 feet tall and seems to shed the flowers well. The only downside which I think makes the plant interesting is its odd rippled leaves. Interested in hearing what you think. I was thinking a large group of these could look like a nice ground cover LOL. Ground cover cannas I never thought it would be.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

Another photo of the whole plant

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

Here is a photo of the leaf. As you can see this odd rippling effect is very noticable. It is also on ever leaf.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

Here is a older hybrid I made that reminds me a lot of this one. This one was very small the flowers would form in large bunches and looked like hydrangea flower clumps. Usually getting to heavy and it would not shed at all forming large patches of dead flowers. Still it usually stayed under 1 foot.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

Here it is as the flowers start to age.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

In its full glory around 8 inches tall.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I like it. I could always find a place for groundcover cannas.

Oakland, OR(Zone 8a)

Those are wonderful, and would be especially nice in pots on a balcony or patio where larger ones might just be too big. Dotti

Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

I have often wondered with you if much of what we see being sold is market driven or marketing driven! That is what I sense you are asking. To be effective as a "ground cover", I would think that the self cleaning characteristic would be very important, as their use would typically be for minimal maintenance, visual impact areas as opposed to the focused specimen plants that we doddle over.

Your light pink very well may have potential here. Does it multiply well?

Arlan

Orlando, FL

I love these. In my area so many people live in Apartments and Condos, that I could see these on the tiny patio as a splash of color. The new houses down the road are so close together that you could touch each house with your hands out going to the back yard. The front and back yards are only about 25 feet. I can not imagine anything very large in these yards and your little cannas could add a touch of color without height. The way they are doing things here, I could see a demand. HUGE houses and tiny yards with smaller plants. Personally, I love things that are really different. I would love some of these growing around the bird feeder. I think a demand may be on the way. I love the pink one and I really like the texture. Gives it a little personality all its own. They are all pretty. I am so glad you share the canna pics with us.

Robyn

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Just recently started looking at this forum, and I am surprised that there are not more responses to this one. Personally, I think that they are adorable. Coming from an apartment living background, but now in my first house, I love the idea of the small cannas that can grow in pots and be moved around. Then, when you are ready, they can be put in the ground, especially as a front row to larger plantings of cannas.

Please count me as a vote FOR the tiny cannas. I would dearly love to have some of those gorgeous pink ones! Brian, please post here when they are for sale. I have you on my E-Bay favorites list and am always checking your offerings for sale.

Sheral in Texas

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I like the big ones for the wow factor, but I also like the smaller ones. I like to put a pot in my whiskey barrel pond, so something 8ft tall doesn't work. I do have a large planter I fill with the tall ones, but you could incorporate mini's or dwarfs into planters with other blooming plants and still get some Wow ..Bigger isn't always better..

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7b)

I love these. Anyone have any idea where you can get these at a decent price?

Thanks Don

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

One of my friends has an area that he must step over to access his pond for maintenance. The other day he asked me to suggest something to plant in that area, and I told him that I would look into it. As it turns out, cannas are one of his favorites, but they are to tall for this area. These tiny ones would be absolutely perfect!

Please consider making these available. I really believe that they will be a hit, once people see them, and their versatility in the garden.

Louisville, KY

I have never released any of these cannas but I plan to very soon. I will let you know when they go into production and what name to look for. I think the pink flowering one should be a great hit in any garden. It is small enough that everyone should have a spot for it.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Brian,

Fantastic! We look forward to getting them from you as soon as they become available.

Thank you so much!

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

That has a lot of color pop for such a small plant. I could think of several places that it would look great in my garden. Look forward to more info.

Casa Grande, AZ(Zone 9b)

bwilliams,

I am just getting into cannas. But would love a few of these to add variety to my area with bananas and bird of paradise.

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks Brian - Can't wait - I have several places for these.....

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Great plants, Brian. Let us know when and where they are available. Keep up the great hybridizing work.
Thanks,
Mike

Louisville, KY

I have been very blessed all year. I have recently been visited by many large nurseries companies that are looking at my hybrid work on many different plants. One place has really out done themselves and I plan to put most if not all my work through them. I believe that sense this has gone so well. That all my work will move forward very fast.

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Sounds great Brian, I hope it goes very well for you. I will also love to try some of these cannas.

Grandview, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes, Brian, don't forget to let us know when they will available, I'm loving them...

Houma, LA

Dwarf cannas. I love them. I am growing them from seeds right now and some are already blooming.

Thumbnail by dobra1629
Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

I have many Canna and would have many, many more if I had those small ones. I have dwarfs all the way up to 7'. Your mini Canna are a very special size and would be desired by many people. Especially me! :)

chris

Houma, LA

There are great seeds available at Parks for these. Check them out on the web. They germinated and bloomed very quickly. No need to wait too long for them and Lowe's has them in a nice gallon size for approx $7. Get them while they are hot!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.