Cannas: Ground Cover Cannas , 1 by bwilliams

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bwilliams

Subject: Ground Cover Cannas

Forum: Cannas

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Ground Cover Cannas
bwilliams wrote:
I have never been much on breeding dwarf cannas I have always been more of a foliage, flower, and larger than life plants. But I do understand you need smaller plants to fill in under the larger ones. In my Canna breeding it has been much the same. I have been looking for really large foliage forms that make walls not ground cover, but when breeding you know to keep a eye out for the odd ball seedlings and I have seen a few very interesting dwarf forms. These don't seem to be the dwarfs like I see on the market 3 to 4 feet tall dwarfs. These are the 1 to 2 feet short ones. I really wonder do all of you out their really want dwarf cannas? I have people form large companies telling me that they really look for dwarf forms in cannas. I am wondering if its the grower that wants them due to it being easier to move and ship small flowering plants or if its the customers looking for dwarfs?

Either way these are some of the smallest cannas I have seen. Would like to know if their are some smaller or similar around. This one I nicknamed Mini Me. I am not completely sure if its a great plant for the large market yet. But it does seem to have a lot of potential. The flowers are large and pinkish peach. It grows to 1 to 2 feet tall and seems to shed the flowers well. The only downside which I think makes the plant interesting is its odd rippled leaves. Interested in hearing what you think. I was thinking a large group of these could look like a nice ground cover LOL. Ground cover cannas I never thought it would be.