Cleome seeds? Ironweed seeds?

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, all--

I am sort of new to seed saving, so please forgive my ignorance...

I would like to save the seed from a particularly nice purple cleome flower. Are the seeds the little wisps with a slender pod underneath the flower itself?

If so, do I need to wait until these slender wisps are brown? If not, where are the seeds?

Of course, all of this is moot if you tell me the seeds won't grow flowers with the pretty deep purple flower of the mother plant...

Also, I would like to grow some Ironweed in my woodland garden that is not so tall. If I collect seed from the shortest Ironweed plants in our nearby woodland park, will I have a good chance of getting short Ironweed for my property?

I am new at this seed collecting, but it seems like a fascinating obsession!

Thanks for any info you can share with me! t.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

The cleome seed is just where you thought...the little slender pod like things beneath the flowers. Wait till they are brown and almost dry...pick and let dry completely inside. They will pop open and you will lose your seeds if you wait till they;re crispy.

Ironweed can be pinched back early and it will grow shorter. In my experience Missouri Ironweed grows a bit shorter than New York Ironweed. Both get lanky though without pinching pack.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I've not harvested Ironweed seed but it freely reproduces so it should not be a difficult task.

I have a dwarf cleome whose seed produces true. The little pods are upright and upon inspection, you will notice when the browned pod begins to open at the top. You can squeeze it gently and tip it and the seeds will roll out into your hand. Quite easy to save and grow. Good luck!

Thanks, pod. I am keeping an eye on my cleome. Waiting for the perfect moment to approach it for seeds. A little green, still.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Actually ~ I have harvested green and let them dry with no obvious problems. At least I didn't know any better... LOL

OK sounds good!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.