Cuttings from a Viburnum shrub

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

what should I do with them? I took several cuttings that were green new growth. Right now I have them in water. Past experience says this won't work. Maybe this technique: Rooting hormone, dirt and then it's own little greenhouse? Also I heard somewhere that rooting hormone loses it potency soon after it's opened. So you need to buy new. Is this true? I've never had much luck using the stuff.

Mel-

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

The stuff that goes bad quickly is the ones that you mix up in water--that solution that you mixed up needs to be used pretty quickly. But if you're using the powder hormone in a bottle that you dip cuttings into, it should stay good for longer than that even after it's opened, I've never heard that you had to use it all right away. If it gets to be a year since I opened it I'd probably replace it with fresh stuff, but short of that it's probably fine.

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

Okay so my rooting hormone powder is good. What about the shrub cuttings? Anyone can you help me with advice?

Mel-

Fulton, MO

I have rooted many viburnum cuttings, but usually they are late spring cuttings under mist in the GH.

By mid October you probably have plants that are starting to go dormant. I'm not sure how well they would root when treated in this fashion. If you want to try, a peat:perlite mix in 1 gallon pots with ziplock would be one approach.

A quick look at Dirr reveals only discussions of June/July cuttings.

HTH

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.