nasturtiums seeds

Parkersburg, WV

I have some beautiful nasturtiums and they are starting to have a green seed pod ( i think) hanging from spent blooms. They look like tiny green pumpkins, is this the seed or are they inside the green pod.
Also do I pick these podsor let them dry. I have never had nasturtiums til this year so any info is appreciated. Thanks taj12

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

taj: Yes, those are the seeds. They can be hard to "catch" sometimes. I let them start to change color, the color will start to fade from dark to light green, turning slightly tanish. They can fall off and be lost in tangled vines and foliage, so I grasp them and give the slightest tug. Not hard, but barely extending the stem. If the seed falls off in my hand, I collect it. If still green and holding tight onto the plant, I leave it another day or 2.

Take in the house and air dry. The green pumpkin will turn hard and dry. That's your seed.

Karen

Parkersburg, WV

Thanks Karen I was not certain about the seeds. I thought that when I had planted them that they were unusually large and I could not imagine what they would look like.I have been both amazed and happy with them.I will give your method a try.I have been doing the same thing with soma Blacked Eyed Susan vines, very tricky to catch before they let go of the seeds and they are extremely hard to find in much..
Thanks again Tim

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Nasty seeds will shrink considerably in the drying process, and it takes quite awhile. I put mine on a paper towel, on a plate, and set it up on one of our beams.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.