how do I propagate a rose?

San Angelo, TX(Zone 7b)

My neighbor offered me a couple of her roses. I'd love to know how to propagate so I can maybe give her one back one day:)

Could someone please tell me how!!

Thanks-Elizabeth

San Antonio, TX

i usually take cuttings from my roses, apply rooting hormone and put in potting soil. i keep them in my green house over the winter and in the spring i see how many have survived. this spring i was able to xplant alot of them into larger pots.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

oh - it takes all winter? I tried to root some and a lot went black - in spite of all the care I gave them - how much water do they need? I may have overwatered them.

San Antonio, TX

I dont water them a whole lot cuz it is winter but I do try to keep it humid in my greenhouse. I think that's more important.

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/556678/

Try this. Ted

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Hey TA,
I just tried that last night!! Have you had any luck with it? I followed it to the T.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, I followed it to a "t" - including stripping the leaves - and most died.

So now, I am leaving a few leaves on and trying again.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Great... :^|

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The keys:
1. Good healthy cuttings, Ideally 4-6" (Rose grows so fast that longer cuttings is but a waste of energy and effort - allow them the optimum condition, once they take off you're going to need to prune them back further to stimilate new bushy growth).
2. Humidity, light, moisture
3. Never let becomes 'wet feet'
4. Avoid direct sun light and winds; direct light will burn them too quickly, winds dry them out faster than a convection microwave owen.
Happy gardening. :-)

This message was edited Oct 10, 2007 1:15 PM

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

I have had good success for this one time. Although I do wick water

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Well, Lily, I am covered on all those aspects. So, cross your fingers. Dr. TA, wick water? What is this?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

To wick the water from your potting plants, is a clever method of keeping your plants from 'wet feet'. You can create wick by any old means. I use old cotton rags. Paper towel rolled up dip one end onto your pot the other to a catch basin. Let gravity 'wick' the water away by absorption. Viola! I didn't mean to take away any good advices. No consultation fees will be mailed out. The reverse system will help watering your house plant in a slow gentle way while you're on vacation and didn't have a plants sitter handy.
Kim

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Ok, I'm going to "wick water". Lily, TA is not a real Dr. anyway. He just plays one on Coleus.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

LOL, lol, lol, you're all great coleus Drs. It's very entertaining, and so much fun.
Happy gardening
Kim

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

As you can tell, I have a little crazy side to me. Keeps things interesting.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

You're the sanest woman I know, by far. Keep up with the fun, I'm loving you to pieces.

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

This is my method of watering from the bottom. Do not use anything that will rot for wicks. An excellent wick is to buy the replacement head for a man made fiber mop. Already cut into strips and will not rot, or braided poly rope used for boats at Walmart

Thumbnail by TARogers5
Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

What a great setup. I will have to make some of these. A couple of questions. What size pot is that? What is the cover, a ziploc storage container? Do you have holes in the top? TA, I haven't seen you around the halls of the hospital. Where ya been?

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

I am not a rrrrrrrreal doctor. LOL
No holes in top. They are CD containers that I pick up from our church media department. The top is a cd container and the pot and water container are DVD's

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Let me ask a question, please......................all the nursery people around south Texas get big wooden tubs or the 15 gallon tree tubs.............fill them with sand............and just stick cuttings of the roses in.......(only in the winter time they say).................by spring they have roses galore.....................it sounds so much easier than the other but I have never heard them talk about fungus gnats..............I grow african violets and have gnats all the time.......are they the same gnat that you are talking about...........thanks

San Angelo, TX(Zone 7b)

Thank you for all the information. I hope I'm as good as yall:)

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Please try the following site: http://www.scvrs.homestead.com/Cuttings1.html
Great information :)

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

doccat5 I thank you immensely for this site and I have book marked it!
gail

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Glad to be of help, I found it to be very informative.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.