Touring Jungle Heights, Rj's tropical garden.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

This summer was one of the busiest. The Garden has always been nick named "The Jungle" and it became officially known as Jungle Heights. This neighborhood is Historic Heights, so it just fell into place.

It was one of the rainiest summers on record here, in fact the weather could have had one fooled into thinking they were in Central America, not Houston. Despite the constant rain, Jungle Heights was the location of a Houston Area plant swap that attracted DG members from all over Texas. It was such a blast. So many people showed up, that the entire 10ths street block was nothing but DG member cars. We had a pot luck, then swapped plants, went on a tour of Zone9Tropicals.com (they're down the street) . Individual forrays were conducted during the afternoon and we all rendezvoued for a wine tasting. The bonus, it didn't rain that afternoon!

The morning usually starts with me staring out the french doors to view the garden.
This looks over the hot tub towards the pond and seating area.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The deck is bordered by a rail, but rarely seen because of the plants! One stairway goes to the lower garden and pond, one goes to the back driveway and garage, and the 750 sq foot deck as entrances to the bedroom, and the living room. The deck really IS my living room.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

This is the garden headquarters. Seating area that currently hosts the orchids and bromeliads. The entier deck surface and decorations change with the seasons, because the sun exposure also changes. The statue is called a Tepannom, from Chiang Mai Thailand...

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Pond area, where Bird of Paradise and Australian Fern tree both got very big. There are certain humourist in the household here that refer to them as La Fern and Shirley...

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The little fern that could. This one double it size several times this summer.
Australian Fern Tree

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

From pond area towards the french doors of the living room.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

And back again. This is the view coming from the living room. The deck is built around the oak tree, and I'm enlarging the hole around the tree.....again...4 the time.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Close up of tree. The lizard was made by DG member that visited during the plant swap. Hi Janet! Unique Treasures, and she sure is!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The deck is made with a curve around the pond area. It flows very nicely from deck to garden.
Pond, with cladiums..one of several looks during the year.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Believe it or not, this patch of jungle hosts the deck stairs into the lower garden. Tall shell gingers on the left. On the right a giant Clerodendrum Ugandense, with a Cross vine over head that I actually trained up into the tree by using a chain.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Plants around the pond....

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Powder Puffs, Plumbeas and Ti's oh my

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Plumbea

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Ti trees. There are a few that really do well by the pond.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Pond area, even though my intent is to have low plants..just doesn't happen

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Bee checking out the ginger

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Every year I seem to focus on something different. Last year was Clerodendrums, this year it was striking leafy plants. Got this one at the Mercer Arboretum.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The stone walkway I put in following the edge of the deck. Some Alocasias I picked up this year. along the walkway

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

More ears

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Mickey

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

On the deck, daturas

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The lamp post in the lower garden.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Walkway by lamp post. This time of year, it is like the jungle swallowing you up.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

another walkway pict

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Picture from the side entrance of the garage facing towards the east fence and pond area

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

This is along the private driveway to the garage. The driveway really is the plant nursery area

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Green house...made with fiberglass and windows....it is lit up with colored lights at night.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

As long as I happen to have coconut ladders...

I put them up for vines...This is the west end of the deck hosting a Beaumontia Murtonni vine.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Images in front of these cathedral bells, are also using a bamboo coconut ladder cut in half

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The garden in front of the house features a small pond, but blended beneath the vine ladders so you really don't notice water there...That way I can incorporate the great texture of papayras..or how ever its spelled.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Clerodendrum Bungei..

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

More front garden - Brazilian cloak

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

More clerodendrum...I've discovered thee is no such thing as a small clerodendrum.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

That's it....this is the east ladder, covered with potato vine and Hawaiin wood rose. Another wood rose vine is by the green house in the castor bean tree. I'm hoping for blooms!

Rj

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I am absolutely amazed. With what have you amended the soil??? What do you feed?

Beautiful.

LouC

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi LouC,
I use alfalfa pellets that have infused, fish emulsion, cotton seed extract, mollases, and seaweed. It's a lazy mans alfalfa tea..:)

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Is all of that in one pellet? Where do you get it? I'm so impressed.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes ...it is..I about fell over when I found them, as I made the stinky tea...and there was all wrapped up in one...
houston fertilzer is where I got it...their web side is gardengeek.com
not sure if they list it on there or not since it comes in 40 lb bags
It's called "earth essentials"

This message was edited Oct 4, 2007 10:50 AM

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Also..oak tree leaves...the garden is especially fond of them. I don't pick up the leaves until spring. The garden beds have that sweet mulchy smell.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh Randy that is heavenly! A Garden of Eden! Just gorgeous!!! You have done a wonderful job!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.