No buds/blooms on my Chrysanthamum ???

Middle River, MD(Zone 7a)

Wonder what I did wrong ???

This is it's third fall year...... Seemed like it would never take off this spring. (I did read that many others had lost their's and they were slow growing also.)

There's no buds on it - shouldn't there be by now? Now that I think about it, it didn't bloom last year also, however, I didn't know to cut it back in the early summer and it got really tall and spindlely.

thanks so much - janice

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Janice, what type of Chrysanthemum are they? Some of them are very late blooming. We have a few varieties that are just beginning to bud up now - seems to me they're getting ready to bloom a little later than last year - thinking the prolonged heat may have something to do with it - no cool crisp weather to trigger their cycle? Same thing is happening with our Toad Lilies (Tricyrtis) this year - blooming alot later than previous years.

This message was edited Oct 4, 2007 5:02 AM

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Some of these plants are juiced up with hormones to make them bloom, and they'll never bloom the way they were when you bought them. I don't know how you're supposed to be able to tell which ones will grow in a garden or not, though.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

If you want to get some plants that have never been forced, Bluestone Perennials sells quite a few. Kings also carries cuttings for more chrysanthemums than you can shake a stick at.

I received a small piece of this one in a trade last year. It has become a nice sized plant and is blooming like crazy.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1938/

The pacificum mums that Gita gave me at the swap are also covered in buds right now. They have done extremely well, Gita. I'm really looking forward to seeing them bloom.

Guess What !!! I'm seeing buds......

I don't know the name/type. The leaves are a bright gold with orange outlines......

Thumbnail by wallis104

My neighbor's just purchased some of the same type....... Here's a photo......

Thumbnail by wallis104

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.