Garden Robin #2

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

CLOSED

Most of us really enjoyed the Garden Robin so let's do it again before the holidays and our lives get REALLY hectic.

Here are the rules for this Robin:

GARDEN ROBIN #2
Sign up by Oct 18th, box will be going out by the 20th, that will give us 2 full weeks to get ready.

Limited to 12 participants.

******Items should be garden RELATED, NO SEEDS this time, there are about 5-10 other seed RR going now.

Mainly other garden stuff, books, whimsey, tools, how-tos, any garden related items. If you have something special for someone please put their name on it.

No strong scented items unless capped well or in Ziplock bags. Some people are allergic.

Take whatever you want but replace with same quality & quantity of items.

Please send with delivery confirmation.
All participants must be subscribers with addresses in Address Exchange.

Let's get this box around asap before the holidays.
If we are real efficient we could be done by Thanksgiving or Mid Dec at the latest.

Have fun.

This message was edited Nov 25, 2007 2:14 PM

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

1. Distantkin
2. Cat64129 - Cat twisted my arm so of course she has to do it.
3. cedarnest
4. Psychw2
5. tetleytuna
6. dhemmer
7. bmedel
8. froggies_girl
9. pupilpropogtr
10. rainy_jane
11. rachierabbit
12. Dylancgc

We have our 12. I'll get the box ready to go on October 15th, I need to get the flight plan figured out. Everyone send me your addresses by Dmail and we'll get this robin flying.

This message was edited Oct 5, 2007 7:06 PM

(Cathy), MO

LOL! Hope that arm doesn't hurt too much! This wil be so much fun!

This message was edited Oct 3, 2007 2:36 PM

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Count Me In!! Thanks for doing this Peggy and thanks Cat for twisting her arm ..LOL : ))

(Cathy), MO

Psychw2 wanted in also if we do another one

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

This sounds like a lot of fun! Can I play??

Belleville, IL(Zone 6a)

ok i'm in. glad to see i'm after nancy (cedarnest) maybe i can get in on one of her fancy purses. maybe i'll frame another picture or two.
diana

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

Got you both. That ought to work. We were going north to south due to encroaching frosts and freezes. Better sweet talk cedarnest. Your pictures last time were cool.

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

I'd like to be included...just put me in line where ever needed as I'm in Idaho.

Thanks, Brenda

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

Got you. Did you ever find those little ziploc bags that I told you about for seed?

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

Yes, I did find the little bags at Wal Mart, right where you said! They have come in very handy!

~Brenda

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Hey BRENDA!! Hehehe.. maybe we won't have to mail it to each? Good to see you. Yes, please put in the line up

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

Hi Pat!! I knew DG was a small world!! LOL I've been watching it snow this morning but it's not sticking....

~Brenda

(Cathy), MO

Snow??? Already?

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

Brenda you should really not use those 4 letter words on an open forum. Well there are a few 3 & 5 letter words also. Snow, ice, sleet. I guess it is a fact of the seasons though as bad as we hate to hear them. I've been seeing white woolyworms so according to the old folks it should be a mild winter. Last year was white woolyworms and we got hit with the January ice storm and lost electricity for 12 days. I hate roughing it. My idea of camping is Motel 6.

(Cathy), MO

We lucked out up here. We got the same storm but it was mostly sleet and snow, not the wet ice you guys got. My daughter was out of elect for 8 day too. They were over at my place most of that time!

When I lived in Portland OR we had ice storms EVERY year. It would bring down the electric lines and we would be out of power. The only question would be "how long". The longest I have been without power was 12 days, the shortest (during that 5 years) was 3 hours.

(Cathy), MO

Well, it probably won't happen again here for no telling how long, but it convinced me we need a small generator. Just in case!

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

We are putting a wood stove in this winter. We have talked about it for 5 years every since we built the house, it's happening now. We have had 2 of those ices since we have been at this place and neither time did we have a stove. I don't mind the no electric if I am warm. We didn't have water either, at least city people still have water. We made it fine though, dipped water out of the Koi pond to flush the toilet and got water for cooking and drinking in town. The DH thought roughing it was using paper plates. He started to get real plates a couple of times and I asked if he was washing them. They got put back.

(Cathy), MO

I bet her did! LOL! We have wood heat w/backup propane in this house so we would've been ok that way. The house we are moving to has central though, hence the need for a generator. My son ran a few extra elect wires, so we will have the heater, fridge, and an elect socket in each room hooked to a generator. So I'll be ready!

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

That is advance planning at its best.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

If there is still room, I would love to join.

Traci

(Cathy), MO

I'd still have wood heat if I didn't have to work and could be there to feed the fire. Love it!

Hi pupil

(Zone 1)

Snow, Ice, Sleet?? What's that stuff?

:) We are still at 90 degrees down here and humid! I just took a break from mowing the lawn and thought I would "lurk" for a few minutes on DG.

Brenda ... I can't believe you've got snow already!! I've heard some folks talking about a chance of frost .... goes to show what it is like in different areas of the country, doesn't it?

Down here we need generators for possible use when Hurricane's hit and power is out for sometimes weeks at a time! We still have another almost two months of hurricane season ... til the end of November, but usually this late in the season we are pretty safe. The waters are still pretty warm out in the Atlantic and there's something tropical brewing off the coast that they are watching, hopefully it will just go away.

Well ... back to my mowing! Have a great afternoon everyone!

With Traci (pupilpropogtr) we have 10 and only need 2 more. I think I'll check to see who was asking to be included "next time" and see if they got in.

(Cathy), MO

Good idea. I know I'd hate to be left out

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

Hmmm, snow is a four letter word isn't it? LOL I'm just happy it's still at the time of year where it all melts back off, in another month that won't be the case.

Hah Hah Lin, what are they indeed! I will tell you this though, I may get tired of the long winters here with snow on the ground 6 months out of the year but I'll take it over the worry about hurricanes (and tornadoes and earthquakes) any day!

I agree, having a wood stove when you live in an area where any severe weather is common or even possible is a real comfort. I always know I can be warm and I can cook (well at least heat food up) with a wood stove in the house. And there is nothing like the feel of wood heat!

~Brenda

(Cathy), MO

I totally agree with that! Coming inside after b eing out on a really cold day, there's nothing like backing up to a hot stove. And then getting your "tush" so hot you have to turn around and warm the front! It just warms you to the bone.

(Zone 1)

LOL. Hey! I do have a wood burning fire place in my living room ... does that count? Now, we had this beautiful brick fire place installed back @ 1977 and have probably used it maybe 20 times in thirty years! But, I do love a nice warm, cozy wood burning fire on a bitterly cold day. I don't mean I want many of those bitterly cold days though! Y'all can keep all the snow, sleet and ice up there .... nice to visit once in awhile for maybe 2 or 3 days but then I want my sunshine and warmth back! Love our winters down here .... the older I get the more the heat and humidity in the summer gets to me, but I know I couldn't survive 6 months?? of Snow!! I would have to hibernate.

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

We really only need one more if you count me, if not we need 3 cause we can't quit at 13 by the time you add me.

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

If there is still room I would like to join. Rachel

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

Me........if you have room left.

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

One more and then everyone needs to dmail your addresses to me. Since we are done with getting participants I guess we could start earlier. Maybe mid to late week next week? We'll see how much of a bum I am this weekend.

Cat you must have done a good job twisting that arm. Gotta have an MRI next Thursday. Dr seems to think I have torn something loose. It has hurt for a year but just a nagging pain, this spring I got it injected and that helped, I started wearing a support on it if I did much of anything. Now it screams almost all the time. Talking on the phone is just not done with the left arm, my profession is a vet assistant/receptionist. I bought a headset which sure does help. The left arm is the one I carry animals with and restrain (give them a hug) animals for treatment. It is also my leash hand. That is probably the problem, after 16 1/2 years getting jerked by unruly and/or large dogs I have probably jerked something loose.

Ok, no more whining. Let's get that last person signed up and LET THE FUN BEGIN!!!

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

plantladylin
were you wanting in or were you just checking it out?

(Cathy), MO

Sorry I twisted it so hard! I'll be more careful next time. Sending you a dmail.

(Zone 1)

I'm sorry y'all ..... I think I will sit out until Spring! Have goodies for Robin's but have so much going on this month and next .... and then the holidays will be hitting!

So, have fun everyone! I will catch a Garden Robin next Spring!

Thanks!

Lin

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

The list has been updated, so as soon as you send addresses I can work on the flight plan.

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

OPPPS I heard from Rubyw and she is not playing so we still need one more.

Ocean Springs, MS

Please count me in. thanks, julie

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

Send me your address via Dmail.

Froggies girl makes 12 so this is closed to new people. The box hopefully will be ready to go on Oct 15th.

Thanks guys
Peggy

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.