Tulip seeds

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Has anybody happened to sprout Tulip seeds before? Sure appreciate some help if anybody knows.

Til today this is the first I have ever even seen a Tulip pod. Pretty cool , looks almost like a Daylily pod.

Now I just need to know how to germinate the seeds. Wonder what the seedlings gonna look like? Love surprises!!!!!! : )

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I wished I knew, everything considered, Tulips enjoy the cool temp. of the North and our summer heat sometime racks havoc on those bulbs. I was hoping you are on to propagating Iris' seeds. Then I need to learn from you. lol
May I just tag along for educational purpose?

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Sure.... That what life and gardening all about. Learnign from one another and adding tidbits as we learn them and sharing them. : )

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Lily Love.... I finally found this article on how to start these things. Was readign along and it seemed like it wouldn't be too bad til ya get to the one section and if ya don't have a bulb to transplant then ya killed your plant. : ( LOL

I'm gonan give it a try and see if I can get any of them to make a bulb, got a feeling that all I may end up with will be a bunch of dead leaves, but oh well, that's how ya learn by doing and giving it a try.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Starlight;
Most year, growing tulips in the past is one of my very own tradition. This year, thus far due to the bad weather. Most spring bulbs I've seen on the market are dismally small. I'm a little concern if I'll even get my Tulips this year. I usually treat them as annuals in our zone, since the summer is so so hot. I missed chatting with you.
On the Texas Star Hib.'s seeds, I can safely sow them outdoor this Fall, can't I?

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

LilyLove.... Same here. Winter coming and folks will be hibrernating indoors and then the chatting will be back in full swing.

Most tulips melt here. It just way to hot, but gos s I sure do love them. Here ya have to dig them up and store them and replant again.

After reading that article, well, dahhhhhhhhhh just realized I forgot to paste the link

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/11-11-2005-81210.asp

it says that the species ones are more fertile. Maybe some species tulips wil do better, now just got to try and find out what the cold chil requirement for the seeds are.

It getting awful late in the season now. Not sure about up in your zone. With the cooler temps and short days, things are growing real slow. I started my seedlings a couiple of months ago and stil worring if they gonan have enough roots to keep them fromcroaking over the winter. You might want to ask somebody closer up into your zone.

Either that or you could try a few and se e what happens. Maybe they will make it . The weather so crazy again. It hard to tell what to plant and what not to plant any more. We went from having low 50F at night to 73F last night. It crazy.

If it gonan stay warm a bit longer, need to give plants stil another shot of week fertilizer, if it gonan get cold, need to start cuttign them back on water. What's a person to do. Seems like growing has become a big game of chance anymore.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.