Clerodendrums and Brazilian Cloaks

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Here is the next stage in the Clerodendrum sahelangii bloom...boy these names..I can NEVER remember how to spell.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Pict 2

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

closer up

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

about mid range.

It'll be interesting to the them open

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It's a bit bright to get close ups..I should have done that this morning.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

another..kind of close up

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Lovely! Totally amazing! Six years did you say? Did you ever think 10-15 years ago that you would be so into plants, and have such a gorgeous garden????

I can only hope mine becomes a tenth as beautiful as yours! You are so artistic! Just know where to put those plants! Everything just looks picture-esque! Breathtaking!

How ever do you water all of those plants?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks..I switch stuff around like I'm moving furniture around in the house.

I did not think I would be so into plants, but if I look back I can see that I always was, it was just that I was in a period of youth trapped in apartments that really were never "home". Once that happend the rest fell in place. As a kid growing up in Liberia W. Africa - we lived in a place called Yekepa, Nimba county and out the back door, was our backyard and then...Jungle, hills,...
When we moved from there to the big city of Monrovia, I actually created my first garden when I was in 9th grade and made a pond from an old sink...when we went to the church camp property ..I caught fish out the fresh water lagoon, ony separate by a beach..then the ocean...fabulous!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Carol, you haven't fooled anyone! We know you know! And as for confessions, I was so afraid at first that no one would join in cuz we didn't have enough variety of topics....haha, can you imagine? Our topics may not always be the ones that the thread title refers to, but we sure do cover the whole gambit! Always so interesting! And now with Rj here, posting these glorious pics of the cleros just to make me cry!!!! We are getting more and more folks with lots to add to our "they said it wouldn't last" forum. Thank you all!!!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Definately informative! A true support group! When I decided to do tropicals my Mom thought I was cra-zy! I would mention a particular plant, and she'd say, "It won't grow here!" I have a habit of trying things that are rather unconventional, outside the box, so to speak. Tropicals are the best thing I ever did! She even admits it now! So when I found this forum I was glad to share about all of the tropicals being grown in unconventional places....I certainly wasn't alone.....OK...maybe still crazy....but not alone! LOL

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

That's for sure.. I mean..I try growing coconuts!
The workshop I attended on Tropicals at the Mercer Arboretum told us this area changed 3 zones in the last 20 years, and are growing things here never thought of 30 years ago.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Can't remember the source........several years ago was told that the humidity in Dallas was near that of Houston.....and we had been so arid.......the reason? Home swimming pools. So much evaporation.....

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Now that is some interesting data...

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Randy, want to share any other info from the workshop! Now that would be interesting!

Another arboretum in Houston.....where?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It was out by Humble, and I heard another one opened up..but have to track that one down

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Lou...that is AWESOME data!!!! If 'some' people don't believe that humans are changing the climate of the world....let them know that.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I don't know how to track the report. I think it was in the Dallas Morning News.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Here is the latest Clerodendrum in bloom.
Clerodendrum calamitosum

Also coming soon is Wallichii - one of my favorites...should be opening any day

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The pollinators love it!
This is the evening shift starting, Sphyinx moth or hummingbird moth.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

this little guy moves fast!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Your clero's are so beautiful Randy! I keep hoping mine will grow from sheer jealousy at my admiration of others!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

So how many photos did it take to get these 3?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Shari,
I have to say they really seem to do well in this zone.
The Wallichii I planted in the ground and has grown rather large! I'll be posting it in the next couple of days. They probaby have the grandest blooms of them all.

london England, United Kingdom

Rj You have such beautiful plants.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

thanks.

Here is the latest in Clerodendrum blooms. it was funny yesterday, everytime Chistine asked "what is that cool plant?" I kept on say..oh that's another clerodendrum, because everyone is soooo extremely different than the other which is what I found very interesting, and prompted me to begin the collection. I have quite a few now, and really like most of them.

This is the Wallichii- Nutams ..one of my favorites and in my opinion the more exotic looking ones. I planted this in the ground, and it's becoming covered in long bracts of delicate looking flowers.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

another picture, with the pond reflection in the back ground

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

One thing I forgot to ask..where did you get them?

Christi

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I got alot of the rarer ones at zone9tropicals.com
and some from Toptropical.com..or is it topstropicals..

I am shipping Carol a sahelangii, the ones in front that were turning red, it looks like those are going to be seeds, I will save some for you. Not sure how they will do in Dallas as they seem to be more tropical, and don't do too well in pots.

the minnahasse that was by the garage...is notoriously difficult to produce by cuttings, although I am trying at the moment.

I have the ugandense already propgated in a pot..that one is the one with the two toned looking butterflies that the bumblebees loved....darn I wish I could have loaded that up in your car yesterday.

The Wallichii the one I just posted up there a bit, is also been difficult from cuttings, but I will keep trying on that..and since it's in the ground this year I'll e interested in seeing if it produces seeds, and if it does..I will save you some seeds. I will see if I can nick a wallichii for you from Wayne, I saw a few over there and I will be helping him put up a cold frame green house in a couple of weeks, for which he rewards me greatly with plants...so I'll keep you in mind.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Makes my heart race.

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Oh RJ you are so clever with all that propagating stuff, good going!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.