Clerodendrums and Brazilian Cloaks

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

At last, one of the last types of Clerodendrums in my collection is blooming, only have Shooting start to coax now.

Alongside are also a first, Brazilian Cloaks- they really stay blooming for quite a while! I am liking them.

Clerodendrum sahelangii

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It rained this morning so all my efforts at keeping them standing are foiled.. Here is a couple of them sort of merging bloom stalks.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Rather tall these fellas are!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

So tall the sky is the back drop !

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

How about the Brazilian cloaks...I thought for sure these would have a name with flame in it!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

These too, are tall...everything is tall...tall tall tall!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

and a few of them posing, not to be out done by the Tequilla Sunrise Hibiscus posing off to the right.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The Minahasse is blooming, and the Molle and Nutans are beginning to show buds.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

another

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I think this is some sort of solanum...solandrum......something like that.

It's interesting, It seems that a wide variety of vines have more blooms when growing in a pot...

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

And a Bromeliad, or rather 3rd generation of one I bought at work. At the end of the month, the building sells the lobby plants for 3 bucks...oh yes...bromeliads for 3 bucks...orchids...needless to say I bring something with wheels on it to that sale!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Hey rj!!!! I really like that Clerodendron and don't have it. Want to trade something???? I have lots of Cleros.

We call that Brazilian Red Cloak...and it is wonderful. The more direct sun it gets, the shorter it grows!!! It blooms all year round here and our clump is getting shadier and shadier and taller and taller...it has to be 15' tall now!!!!

Carol

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I saw some pictures of it in S. America, and it does get rather large with alot of blooms.
The get a good shot of sunshine there, even more now that the sun is shifting.

I do have a smaller sahelangii you can have. It's blooming right now too.

I don't have
Lolly Bush, Smooth Clerodendrum

Clerodendrum floribundum
Natal Glorybower

Clerodendrum glabrum
West Indian Privet

Clerodendrum Macrosiphon although it looks like a musical note to me.

Wild Jasmine
Clerodendrum inerme

Chinese Glory Bower
Clerodendrum chinense

I don't have Molle, but I tell ya the Clerodendrum calamitosum which I have looks similar for the flower.. The leaves are distinct for the Clerodendrum calamitosum though.

I pretty much have the rest of them.

How have you been? Haven't talked to ya in a while.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

OH, rj...I had no idea there were so many!!!! I need them all!!!! I don't have the minihasse either! Guess I don't have a lot of them....lol.

I have succeeded in propagating a 'Blue Hibiscus'...it actually isn't a hibiscus but a mallow but a lovely blue!!!

I have been off traveling...then I go to NZ on the 24th for 2.5 weeks...should be fun. It has been raining so hard and so long EVERYthing needs pruning, feeding and love!!!

Will get you a list of what I DO have...if you covet stuff let me know and I will start them for you. Do you grow gardenias?

Take care...

Carol

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Okay you two! I have my one tiny Clero Glorybower that seem to have reached some sort of impasse. It started out great guns, but now has slowed its growth to near nothing, and no blooms at all. What am I doing wrong....it is the one plant that I dearly wanted when I got here, had it mailed from Logees in CT! I love clero's and you two are making me eat my heart out! Help!

I also need your permission for something....please see the thread "Need your Okay".

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

New zealand will be fun!
I'm sure you have stuff I've coveted~!
I do grow gardenias..
Blue hibiscus sounds fun...I love those rose mallows...I have ornamental cotton
white hibiscus..and sure enough it produced cotton balls for the seeds..
Hey shari, the glory bower...and since half of them seem to sport that name, I'm assuming you have a sunset, panticulatum..with the red spikes on top? That one seems to like a bit less water than the rest of the clerodendrum family. If conditions aren't right, It will shut down, and shed it's leaves. Looking like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree ( one scraggly stick) it will start up again. Mine did that 3 times the first year...I really thought it died, but a small voice told me to leave it be...Try mixing some hibiscus fertilzer in the soil.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Wonderful. I have two blooms on the gardenia this morning. Lots of work to pamper one here.

This message was edited Oct 1, 2007 5:15 PM

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

The one I have is supposed to be "Bleeding Heart", but I can't be sure, since it has never bloomed. I will do as you suggest.

Carol - you just got back! Wow, NZ! I really want to get there! Take lots of pics for sharing!

My Gardenia is bloomless, I'm pouting...:-(

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Shari...dump coffee grounds/tea bags/picklejuice on your gardenias... They are really acid loving and really enjoy the garbage I give them!!!! My grandmother used to put garlic cloves in the soil!!! But the coffee trick works like a charm!

I recently read that they LIKE a drop in temps in order to set blooms....so don't protect it too much...or put it inside with your AC for a while in the winter to give it the dip it wants!!!

Yep..NZ is next...in a mad rush right now catching up from the mainland and getting ready to take off again!!!!

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Carol! It's hard to pin you down - New Zealand next! I just wonder who you will meet at the airport and which fruit you will be eating this time! LOL!
Have a wonderful trip - can't wait to hear all about it!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

BHMom...the world is full of friends I haven't met yet!!! You can bet i will be eating lots of Kiwi in NZ...and tangerines, grapefruit fresh off the tree. I go each year to visit a wonderful 84 year old friend we met when we lived there (Tauranga) on the boat...and I tell you that keeping up with Anna is a chore!! We have such a blast from miles of walking on the beach to raiding the OpShops (Consignment Shops) which are fabulous there!!!

Will get pictures galore. We are going to the Rhododendron Festival in New Plymouth. Neither of us has been to NP so it should be fun!!!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Carol, are you going on your boat?

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

To quote Kermit - "Its not easy being Green"....I am soooo jealous! Sounds like you are going to have a wonderful time!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

As we used to say..."nothing goes to weather like a 747...". Sold the boat in 2000 when we got back... NZ is one of my favorite places in this world...and Anna is a terrific woman...writes and publishes poetry, is a mean Scrabble player, great cook and she is so keen and active, it is wonderful being around her. We drink tea with cloth 'serviettes', have sit down breakfasts (instead of on the run or at the computer), see great movies...it is a stimulating time in my life. Now, with my art workshop behind me...I am going to journal the trip with paintings included...

Alas...gotta stay present right now, tho...too much to do here!!!!

TTFN

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Let us know before you leave so we don't worry this time....

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Hope you share your journal with us...

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Indeed! I'm looking forward to seeing all these paintings in person!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I took a bunch of photos today, but this is the only one I got to the web before I had to bolt out the door for work..
I don't know what the name of this ginger is..in fact I had moved it from this location, only not quite thorough enough!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Wow that beautiful Randy! It looks like Elizabeth - a hardy ginger lily. Very pretty! Is it fragrant?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

mmm...ya know...I didn't smell it...

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Yes, Shari...it does look like Elizabeth!

Thanks guys...it is neat to feel so important!!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey, when Carol speaks, we all listen!
Thanks for the i.d.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

You got it, Randy! Mine are just guesses - when she confirms my guess I walk on air for days = ♫ I got it, I got it ....Carol said, I got it♫

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

How are you making little notes?

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Character map. Start menu; All programs; Accessories; System Tools; Character Map.
Mine has lots of fonts, and the various fonts have special characters. I found it cuz I was trying to find a way to make the "degree" sign in recipes I was putting in to my "keepers" folder. Got tired of typing out "degrees" every time. Once you pull it up, it should show on your start menu without having to go through all the other stuff. ☺

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

That is so neat, thank you, Mam! ☺

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Don't you know yet that I am 1/2 the sound of light and the other half BX>>>>??? LOL.... I only pretend I know what I am talking about...hahahaha fooled YOU!

You know...I have a deep confession to make. (everyone down on their knees...cassocks on, candles lit??).

In the beginning this forum drove me nuts at times: I live with my linear husband who tells me constantly "for Gods' Sake Woman, stay on subject and stop jumping around"....so I have been training myself to stay 'on subject'. This forum has wonderful threads that start out talking about 'eggs' and ends up (?) discussing the educational wherewithalls of elephants! And...I love it. I can tune in any station and find a wonderful conversation, usually having little to do with the subject but equally as entertaining and informative.

You all (WE ALL) ROCK.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Right!?
All of my threads end up like this, because..this is what happens when people get together, topics naturally shift around. If there is something very important, I have all of the data only stuff in my journals which I can link to people...so it's all fun..

I'm about to start a new thread with pictures from this summer...I didn't post too many this year.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

That'll be great! You have such a great garden! A true PARADISE! Can't wait to see them!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's a preview
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/776961/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.