wanted hickory nuts

Tuckerton, NJ

Hi does anyone have any hickory nuts for postage thank you Bonnie

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Bonnie... which kind of Hickory nuts are you looking for? There are about 9 or 10 different varieties of hickory trees I can think of right of hand.

Tuckerton, NJ

hello im not sure then as a joke when we were younger and use to go to the movies we were all handed a brown bag and told when the movies over fill it with the hickory nuts or dont get in the car and as kids we were scared and always filled it, so i wanted to suprise my mother with some nuts, lets see the shell was a really pretty color it was lite in color like the browse button at the bottom there was hardly any meat in them but what was in them was very good. thats all i can tell you sorry. thanks for getting back to me bonnie

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

pecans... are a type of hickory nut that good to eat and is very pretty to look at... Do you think it may have been them? You can crack them open sometimes with yoru hands. The Pecan trees aren't quite ready here yet, but will be shortly if ya can wait a bit.

Tuckerton, NJ

i love pecans but they wernt pecans, when i get seed catalogs and i look at the trees they say hickory nut trees.they have a very very hard shell we used a hammer to get to the good meaty part.

Tuckerton, NJ

hi could it be the shagbark hickory tree thats what i saw when i was googling the tree thats what the nut looked like to me thank you for your time bonnie

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Bonnie... I don't have the shagbark, but one close it. Your right you need a hammer and a ton of patience to get to the meat inside. I have an eldery lady that comes every year to gather bags of the hickoiry nuts and then she goe s home and painstakingly hammers them open and digs out the meat.

The one year it took her days and days to get her baggies filled with little meat parts minus the shells to make cookies and decorate cake s for the holidays with. The one day when she was gone her dear hubby proceeded to eat the bags of her nuts beore she coudl even bake with them. LOL boy did she give him a what to for and made him help and crack and clean another batch. : )

Tuckerton, NJ

oh i would be so mad to its alot of work but well worth it i havent found anyone with a tree since child hood and i wanted to surprise my mother i have been looking for years.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

These are almost ripe here. If you want some send me a dmail with your addy. They should be ready in the next week or two here.

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

I really loved the taste of the hickory nuts that grew wild were I grew up. They were certainly a pain in the butt to crack though. Between the hickory nuts and the black walnuts we wore out a few concrete slabs. LOL!
http://www.cas.vanderbilt.edu/bioimages/pages/carya-fruits.htm

Tuckerton, NJ

thank you so much i copied the site for my mom she will enjoy it as much as i did. Bonnie

Greensboro, AL

CynthiaWilliams: Very useful reference. Ive been looking at seedling trees to buy and had pretty much zeroed in on the shagbark hickory.

Now I know which one will suit my sandy loam bottom land soil - c. laciniosa.

thanks.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Gloria... You want some of these hickory nuts too. Got Peache s box all ready and other friends that bake with them have gathered what they want and I stil got tons. They germinate real good. just tos s in a pot and up they come.

Tuckerton, NJ

hi just wanted to also let you no here as well as privately i did recive them and my mom started to cry when i came over with the box and said i dont no i think its yours. she said really i said yea, i got a big bowl and opened it for her and she almost fell out of her wheel chair thank you for bringing back my childhood memories and memories of a better time for my mother when she was able to do for herself .she just sits and wait for me to come over now, she loved gardening so , but she still bosses me in her garden.she has been in the wheel chair since 82 from a stroke so these were a delite thank you from both of us bonnie and diane

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Your welcome. I am glad ya that they brought some joy to her and you. You got any fingers left or did you hammer them all to pieces. LOL

Gloria... Yours wil go out some time this week. We finally got some rain here when I went out to start to gather yours and now I waitign for them to dry. Don't want to send a box of wet damp nuts and take a chance on them molding.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.