asparagus fern

Wilmington, NC(Zone 8b)

i have an asparagus fern,but i never noticed it had little green pods, which i assume is a seed pod. right? if so, how does one harvest it? do they change color when they are ready to pick?any info is greatly accepted

Pretoria, South Africa

If they are the same as mine, they will turn red, and I assume that is when they are ready to harvest. Must add I've never tried growing any from seed. Good luck.

Naperville, IL

It is not worth trying them from seed ...just knock out of the pot (or dig out of the ground) and divide to make some new plants. Sandy

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

I started several from seed...it was easy. Let the pods dry, crack them open and you will find 3 or 4 black seeds. I just put them in seed starter (dampened) and bagged the pot up.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Mine have shed the seed and grown volunteers in the beds. In parts of the south, folks hate them as they are a bit aggressive in reseeding. When visited by SIL ~ she said why do yours have berries? Mine stays out thru the winter and has a lot longer growing season. Did you happen to notice the white flowers before the berries?

yup- always have the whtie flowers!

If it was overwintered, it would probably deliver berries/seeds. SIL lives in Mn.

Waterville, VT(Zone 4b)

I'll second the fact that they are extremely easy to start from the seed. The berries go from green to red, after they have matured inside, on the plant (get shriveled up), open them up, and then plant them. I had almost 100% germination. They make cute house plants to give away. Definitely worth playing around with.

I've had six for years and they keep getting bigger and bigger. Two have actually burst their pots! I found them on the ground, so I hacked them into several pieces and repotted them up. Honest...you cannot kill them.

I've been fussing with a foxtail fern. It two has grown, but not nearly as quickly as the asparagus fern.

The foxtail is not as aggressive. Last winter I lost my big one to freezes that the asparagus fern survives easily. Fortunately I had a small foxtail that I brought in. I've never seen the foxtail bloom or seed.

On the aspargus fern, I pluck the little plants out of the ground and tuck them in pots and I agree ~ they are not easy to kill!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.