Spacing new Iris and Daylily garden

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

I'm wondering what the best spacing is when interplanting Irises and Daylilies? This is a blank slate, so all suggestions welcome (cross-posted)

Thanks for the help, always,
Margo

Louisville, KY

Hi Margo. Wanda & others answer that question very specifically on my thread: IRIS EXPERTS Show Newbie Some Love. She shows photos of the effect of iris & DLs and how one can change the garden from blue in March to red in June. Others also give great tips about how to lay out iris w/ DLs & other perennials according to how iris "walk". Check it out and good luck. best ~ Shawna

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Great! I thought I'd kept up with that thread, but must have lost it. THANKS!

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Shawna, what type of iris are you growing in Louisville? I mostly have TB but a few L. and Sibs. Do you have any reblooming iris? Here is a pic of one outside yesterday. It is a NOID but I still like it.

Margo, dls and iris interplanted are very nice. It helps to extend the bloom season.
Teresa

Thumbnail by bluegrassmom
Louisville, KY

Hi Teresa, This is my new iris bed which used to be the kids' pool.... I had to be clever maneuvering that deal, but this is the extent of my iris so far. There are upward of 140 in this bed with hundreds of bulbs interspersed. I'll have to let you know which ones actually rebloom next year! I ordered a bunch though and arranged them within each color group. I just can't wait to see what happens so I can join your thread of best rebloomers for our zone! How bout that awesome rain that just came through? ((( the day after all the iris were planted. very nice timing huh? best ~ Shawna

Thumbnail by Soulja
Louisville, KY

teresa that bloomed YESTERDAY? awesomely lovely in late September!
so, what's a NOID and what would be to not like about it? Looks great to me.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

NOID stands for No identification. I am excited to see what my other stalk blooms out. I thought I had these down on a map but it is lost treasure now. LOL

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

Shawna, That is going to be so pretty when it gets established!

edited to say, I hope you show pictures online! I'm trying to sell my spouse on circular beds and they aren't willing to play yet. With some pretty visuals though....

This message was edited Sep 30, 2007 1:18 PM

Hebron, KY

Shawna,

Great looking flowerbed! Great idea to convert the pool area to a new flowerbed also!

How many Irises do you have planted in it?

How many inches/feet do you have them apart from each other?

How many inches/feet do you have them apart from the border?

Marilyn

PS.... If you're wondering where in KY I am...... northern tip, just below Cincinnati, OH (we're part of the greater Cinn. area) and close to the International airport of Cinn. in KY. :)

Louisville, KY

Hi Marilyn my neighbor! I have another thread about this I'd refer you to (((LIME? Sacraficed pool for iris bed))) but since it relates to Catmad's questions, I'll stay here if it's ok Margo. Wanda goes into detail on that thread about spacing with daylilies & other perennials & bulbs and she gave some great photos, but I went with the liberal spacing - about 18" and will put bulbs in between like she did. However like Teresa said DLs extend the bloom season unless you have rebloomers which I do. As of now though there are about 140 irises arranged in spirals of cool colors swirling into warm colors. we'll see... Hoping to have something blooming there from February to October without spacing everything too close... which I tend to do.

I'm from Cincinnati! grew up in Forest Park close to Tri County Mall. went to school at the Art Academy. nice to meet ya!

Louisville, KY

OH NO I made a mistake. The thread with all the good advice from the amazing Wanda is on: IRIS EXPERTS: Show newbie some love? Others chime in as well. I couldn't have done it without them.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Boo hoo, I am stuck down in the here in the lower part of KY without a close DGer. It would be fun to set up a day in the Spring. I love to shop at Louisville.
Teresa

Louisville, KY

Girl I LOVE lower Kentucky. But you and your expertise are so welcome anytime. especially when the irises bloom! You know how those YouTube people get together regionally like recently there was a SouthTube, well I forsee a Kentucky Dave's Garden tube in our future, eh? Hey, I wrote to you on my other thread just now. Should we take the party there Margo? I feel kinda rude... I was thinking I should start a new thread for iris lovers who grow OTHER THINGS that are still blooming so we can share photos. anyone? HEY, The season's not over yet!

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

On a daylily thread we were talking about meeting at the Western KY Botanical Garden maybe in May when the iris are out or June for the dls. A Spring Fling.
Here is a link
http://www.wkbg.org/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.