Meyer Lemon Tree: when will the lemons ripen?

Columbia, SC

We bought a Meyer Lemon tree in June and it seems to like where it is, in the ground in a zone 8a climate, protected by a wall on its west side, with lots of sun during the day. The tree is groaning with green lemons; when will they ripen? I have seen only one or two new blossoms, no new lemons. Should I expect the lemons to turn yellow in October? That is getting close to a possible freeze in this area.
--Don

New Iberia, LA

Hey Don
I have the same problem as you. This is my first year with a loaded Meyer lemon tree and no color change yet. I swear the more I look, the greener they look. I think that for my area it’s October/November when they ripen.
Don’t worry about the flowers. My Meyer as well as my Satsuma’s and Hamlin’s are still producing a few flowers.
Oldude

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Here the citrus doesn't begin to show color until mid-December usually. And if left on the tree for a couple of weeks or even longer the flavor will intensify. Last year the tangerine crop was so huge that I didn't get the last of it harvested until early March, and the taste was still superb, even though the some of the rinds were slightly discolored from the freezes and from rubbing on branches during high winds. Same for the Meyer lemons. I have a couple of young kumquats to set out soon. A couple of years ago while visiting the Botanical Gardens here on the afternoon of Christmas Eve I noticed that the grove of kumquat trees was carrying a full load of ripe fruit along with almost as many blooms.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Lemons ripen between 6 to 8 months after they form. They continue to ripen after they have turned yellow so color is not a good indication of ripeness. Taste is. There is a slight skin texture change, but it may be hard to see the difference. The lemons don't all ripen at the same time so keep track of rind color and texture when you decide the degree of ripeness that best appeals to you. After a while, you'll have a better idea of when they are ripe in your area.

Venice, CA(Zone 10a)

Here in Southern CA. Meyer lemons don't ripen until winter.

New Iberia, LA

Yuska
The color of Satsumas is not an indication of ripe fruit. Some of the best tasting Satsumas could have a light green color
Here in zone 9, I have been picking Early St Ann and Armstrongs for a couple of weeks. The StAnn is superior to the Armstrong and ripens earlier. It all depends on rainfall and temperature as far as satsumas and oranges are concerned. Sap sucking bugs are a problem for the early satsumas , so it is a crucial time to spray insecticides.
We pick our Owari satsumas the second week of November through the end of December, but you are correct in that the sugar content soars a week or two after the first frost.
Ponkans usually are better around the middle of December as are my Hamlins and Washington navels.
We try to pick the fruit before mid January, so that tree has a little time to rejuvenate before spring. Leaving the fruit on the tree until March just drains the energy from the tree. We normally apply fertilizer at the end of January and no later than the first week of February.
I have absolutely no experience with the Meyer lemon, but I have been told that you should look for a color change, especially at the stem. When this occurs then it’s time to taste test. If the taste is too tart then waits a while then tests again. After a full yellow color they may turn orange indicating a decline in flavor.
The link below is from the LSU agcenter and the dates indicated have coincided with my experience here in Zone 9. I would think that your harvest dates in zone 8 would come sooner.
Oldude

The link did not work so here is the complete document.

Determing Citrus Harvest
Homeowners blessed with citrus trees often question the proper time to initiate harvest of the fruit. The answer is complicated and based on several factors.
Obviously “no fruit is ready before its time.” But what time is that? Citrus (with the exception of lemon) ripens no further after picking. All citrus will store well in refrigeration, but quality will not improve past the level at harvest.
Variety of citrus is probably the highest priority to consider. Satsumas tend to ripen before navel oranges, which ripen before grapefruit. Usually ripening happens at a specific time of year, but may vary by as much as several weeks depending on condition of tree, drought, early temperature variances or weather conditions. Be aware of past history as a beginning point, but be prepared to be flexible. Select one fruit on a weekly interval to better judge results.
Color – deep-green-colored fruit are sour. As fruit nears ripening, skin color lightens to a pale green color and breaks into yellowing. In South Louisiana, skin color can be dark green, change to yellow and convert back to greenish if a long warm period follows the early color change. Fruit colors from out to in, top to bottom and sunny to shady. No tree has fruit ripened equally, so proper selection is necessary for success.
Taste preference – some growers like the first tangy bite of satsumas. Others wait till deep yellow skin indicates a syrupy sweetness. Satsumas are found locally in five major varieties. The old standards "Owari" and "Brown Select" produce quality fruit that ripens in early November and lasts till after December. However, varieties with early-maturing fruit starting in early September have skin that stays greenish but yields fruit that is sweet. These varieties, such as "Armstrong," "Louisiana Early" and "Early St. Ann", will peak in flavor but quickly become diluted in taste quality within weeks. In this instance, once fruit reaches desirable taste, regardless of color; harvest and put it in refrigeration. Otherwise, harvest and share with neighbors, because quality will decrease.
The storage of fruit on a tree maintains a tree’s vigor in a period when the tree would be better served by being allowed to halt its growth through a pre-conditioning or slowdown. Trees should be completely stripped of fruit prior to January of each year. This allows trees to prepare for the traditionally coldest periods, and trees will maintain a sufficient energy level for next year’s blossom production. Keeping fruit late on trees has proven to lessen next year’s crop.
Problem Areas – Usually fruit that has stayed and developed on trees until now will continue and mature. Two exceptions to this are fruit splitting from excess water absorption or insect attack. If fruit has split vertically, then it indicates the fruit absorbed water quicker than the skin could, so a split occurs. This is often seen in satsuma and navel orange trees. Secondly, if plant bugs attack satsumas and stick their beaks into a fruit section, the fruit often turns yellow and drops. If one tree has many dropped fruit or several are bright yellow while most are green, then look for the large brown leaf-footed bug as the culprit. Spray malathion as directed or call your county agent’s office for more specific directions.
Remember, citrus ripens differently by variety, location on tree, tree health and weather conditions. But follow a few rules and enjoy the best tasting fruit found anywhere.
For more information call your local county agent’s office or contact Alan Vaughn, County Agent, Plaquemines/St. Bernard Parish at 504-433-3664.

Normal* Citrus Harvest Periods

Satsumas –
· Early St. Ann – late August to mid September
· Louisiana Early – late August to mid September
· Armstrong – mid September to early October
· Brown Select – mid October to mid December
· Owari – early November to mid January
Oranges –
· Navel Orange – mid November to late December
· Blood Orange – early December to early January
· Louisiana or Hamlin Sweet Orange – mid November to January
· Other seeded Oranges – mid November to January
· Valencia – mid March to April
Other –
· Grapefruit – mid December to January
· Kumquats – late November to January
· Pumelo – early November to late December
· Mandarins – mid October to mid November
*Normal indicates average dates categorized over a number of years. Begin sampling or scout looks of fruit two weeks prior to indicated date. This will take into account weather, stress or other factors that alter normal maturity dates.

This message was edited Sep 29, 2007 2:16 PM

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Thank you for the extensive information. Instead of saying "citrus" which would of course include Satsumas, I should have limited my comments to tangerines, kumquats, Moro blood oranges and Meyer lemons which have all performed well for me, and in which coloration levels have always been, for me, accurate indicators of the degree of fruit maturity. I have not grown satsumas.

I have grown these types of citrus in both 9a and 8b zones. I find that they withstand most freezes fairly well, although four years ago we had three nights running with temps at 17-18 degrees amd there was some damage to limb ends. The fig trees suffered more however, and needed two seasons to fully recover.

The Meyer is a good lemon to grow because of its relative hardiness, related to the probable presence of a tangerine influence in its heritage. It is also larger and less sour than standard lemons. I enjoy eating them with a bit of salt, rind and all. bettydee is right about the slight change in skin texture. And the yellow color is more nearly gold than that of other lemons, at least more so than those in the produce aisles.

I am looking forward to production from the kumquats. The rind is sweet also, and the fruits when candied are a real delicacy. Yuska

New Iberia, LA

Yuska
If you can grow Tangerines you may want to try satsumas since they are more cold hardy. My small opinion is that they are the best of the citrus.
Here is a range of cold hardy citrus.

Most cold hardy to least

Kumquats -------- Cold Hardy
Satsuma
Sweet orange
Navel orange
Mandarin
Grapefruit
Tangerine
Tangelo
Lemons
Limes ----------- Tender

Columbia, SC

I'll be patient. I believe the lemons are turning a slightly lighter shade of green.
I love fresh lemons and enjoy using them in cooking. It looks like I'll be using them in the winter instead of summer.
The other night I saw Mario Batali, one of my favorite TV chefs, making Limoncello, a favorite Italian after-dinner drink and amazingly simple to make at home, and a good use to put winter lemons to I should think. I'm looking forward to my first batch.

--Don

New Iberia, LA

doyledh
A friend of mine gives me a basket full of Ponderosa lemons every year. We squeeze the juice out and place in the old fashion ice cube maker. When you have tea, just drop a couple of these cubes and enjoy. It’s a good way to process the extra lemons and it taste great!
Oldude

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

There is certainly nothing better than a satsuma that has ripened on the tree. I pick and use my lemons at any stage of yellow color. I have notice that the bumpy pattern differs between the kind of lemons. This is a picture of a Lisbon lemon which has a little more pattern than the meyers.

Thumbnail by weeding
Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

Here is a ponderosa in a 16oz cup. It has a little less pattern, even when it is yellow.

Thumbnail by weeding

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.