My Gourd Tree!

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

I noticed several weeks ago that my Bushel Gourds had started taking over the Bradford Pear tree.

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

I started to remove them and pull the vines out. Since I had several gourds on the Ground I wasnt afraid of the loss of the "Tree" Gourds, but I was afraid of damaging the vine. So I just let them go.

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

How big is your tree? Don't the bushel gourds get kinda heavy?

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

This morning I noticed the Weight of the gourds are slowwly but surely lowering them to the ground.

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Hi Syrumani,
Heres the tree , its about 20 ft high! The gourds are about half grown!

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Well, maybe by the time they are done, your tree will be trimmed!

I'm thinking of growing some spinner gourds on a small tree we have in the back yard. That would look kinda cute, I think!

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Hmmm, I'm not familiar with Spinners. Got a photo?

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I don't have one of my own yet, but here is the link to what is in PlantFiles:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/107018/

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Thank you for the link . They are so tiny! If I see them right, I think They are the same tiny Gourds that I ordered from Amish Gourds. D-mail me and if you would like I will share the seeds.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Thank you for the offer, but I just traded someone for some.

I also just started some egg gourd seeds, but it may be too late in the year . . . but I just can't wait! I figure this gourd (egg) can be grown in pots, so I'll leave them out as long as possible, then bring them in for the gourds to mature.

Have you tried growing the loofa? I've got plenty of seeds, if you'd like to give them a try!

This message was edited Sep 27, 2007 8:40 PM

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Good Morning! I have tried growing Loofa but wasnt very successful at it. the drought here and the red clay just didnt Help a bit! I do have more seeds for next year and plan to grow them in pots , BIGGGGGGGGG pots! LOL! Thank you very much though.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I grew mine in pots this year. All I can say is . . . don't forget to water them! Mine would have been so much bigger (the vines) if I had put the pots closer to the faucet . . . :-P Still got about 10 loofas, though.

Crossville, TN

Franixus sent me some seeds of the Tennessee Dancing Gourds (spinners?)....I have some if any one wants them. Jo

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Jo - thanks for the offer, but I received my order of Tennessee Spinner gourds today . . . I knew they would be small, but . . . how tiny! Anyway, thanks again.

Does anyone have any snake gourd seeds?

Eufaula - how is your tree holding up?

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

oh gosh....i am wondering if i need to plant gourd seeds....too cool:)

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Sticks_n_stones - I've got plenty of loofa seeds, if you'd like to give them a try.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

are loofas those sponge things? or are they gourds?

Crossville, TN

I think I have snake gourd seeds...I will check this week end. Jo

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Good Morning All!
Syrumani, Heres my Tree! Still holding in there! the Gourds are getting much bigger and Heavier. they are Slowwly lowering to the Ground. The ones you see on the right of the photo were once up about 10 feet high, now they are about 5 feet off the Ground.

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

This vine is so big! I cant even cut grass around the back of the Barn where the Tree is! I got the seeds from Jo and this vine was the only one of 6 that came up,( Thank Heavens)! The rest succombed to our Drought! So I would think that this vine was the strongest and the sturdiest, it certainly has to be the most Prolific! I have gourds everywhere on the vine now! All are the beautiful Bushel variety , with the short neck, but one! this one beauty has no neck and is only two weeks old! it is already as big as the Three month old . All on the same vine!

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

That was last week Here it is today, Next to my Size 10 Clog! LOL!!

This message was edited Sep 28, 2007 8:53 AM

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Hey Jo , I would love to get a couple of those Snake gourd seeds Please! If they grow like these bushels did I will have " snakes" everywhere! LOL!!

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Loofas are the sponge things, but they fall under the gourd category.

Thanks for looking Jo.

Bushels are definitely going to be the first ones I start next year!

Crossville, TN

I will search my seeds tomorrow...for both of you. Jo

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Yipeeeeeee! Thanks Jo! Oh and by the way You have a thank you coming your way soon !

Crossville, TN

Don't need no Thank You...you already have. Just being my friend is enough! Jo

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

syrumani...i appreciate your offer....i am looking for gourds...this is great to watch this thread; thank you:)

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Well this morning I finally "Eased" the two lowest hanging gourds down to the ground. A Couple of small branches of the Bradford pear tree came too. but that was fine! I left a patch of tall hay grass to bed the Gourds and now they are all settled nice and snug for the final drying in period. I think I will put a wooden base under each to help the drying.

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

This one was hiding inside an old roll of fence wire! thankfully it settled inside the roll and not between . I had to finagle an old feed bag inside the (laying on its side roll) under the gourd. Now it seems that this "Sneaky Pete" is going to be the largest of all the Gourdies!

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Crossville, TN

NICE! Jo

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Jo! And Good Morning to ya!
Hows the weather there, are you going to have enough time to dry out your babies!

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

These are all so neat! I like that their size changes quickly. My grandkids love to watch my tomatos, I'd bet they'd go crazy over these, and they couldn't eat them before I get them into the house!

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

I know what you mean Cathy! I had to grow the Cantaloupes close to the Gourds to hide them! The Kids couldnt tell what was Gourd and What was cantaloupe!

(Zone 1)

I just came across this thread. I know nothing about growing Gourds but thought it was very interesting seeing the different one's y'all grow! I would love to see a photo of the one you refer to as snake gourd and also that loofa! What do you all do with these gourds? Are they just used for fall decorations, or do some of you make birdhouses from them? I have one gourd birdhouse hanging in a tree in my backyard that I bought somewhere a few years ago. I collect birdhouses too. The decorative ones, ceramic, and special ones don't go out in the yard. I saw a handpainted gourd birdhouse on another thread awhile back .... very nice looking. Some folks are very talented.

Question: I normally have morning glories growing on a large screen/trellis by my patio for privacy. Could these be grown there instead, or together with the MG?

(Zone 1)

I will be curious to hear the answer to your question also Cathy4. I wonder if these vines would attach to the screen like the arrowhead vine does to my screened deck down here? I've got some of that trellis and the arrowhead vine actually went through the trellis, and attached to the screen. I pulled the vines off and there were holes in the screen where the vines attached. As the gourds grow I wonder how heavy they get. I guess if the trellis is secured it would work. It would be pretty with the vines trailing around it.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

cathy4 - gourds can be grown on a trellis. HOWEVER, keep in mind that some gourds are heavier than others, so the trellis would need to be a sturdy one! Unless you grew one of the smaller gourds on it, like a spinner or other small gourd. As for growing with a morning glory on the same space . . . you never know until you try!

My trellis is made of heavy metal/wire. It only topples in the fall when the MG are so thick and the wind is 40 MPH or more. We just prop them back up, haha. I'm going to try some of the smaller ones next year, or maybe a mix, it will be neat to watch. Thank you all for the inspiration!

(cucumbers did well on the trellis, but got big too fast because I couldn't see them mixed in with the MGs)

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

cathy4 - I think it's still doable. Here is a link Byndeweedbeth posted in the MG forum today - I think she said it was a MG/gourd/grapevine combo - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=4044655

Thanks syrumani, now I must have a tunnel. DH will not be happy, lol. Isn't that the coolest thing? I'll be the cucumbers would hang down, too. Oh the Grandkids are gonna LOVE this for hiding and seeking.

Efaula, I'm so glad you started this, I've never done gourds before.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.